Chapter twenty-four

Chapter 24

"Oh how cute."

I looked from Ryder's face to the face of the man in the door. He was heavily built and smiled crookedly at us. His voice had a deep slight Irish accent and his head was shaved. He pushed off the door frame and flicked on the lights. I shut my eyes quickly and blinked until they adjusted. Looking around the room, I saw it was basic and very cheap looking. Simple white walls, dirty unmade bed, and cheap stained beige carpet. Ryder was on the edge of the bed with me in his arms. I moved off of him and wiped my eyes.

"Well, now that my glorious sunshines are awake, let's talk," the man said and waved a hand for us to follow him into what I assume was the living room.
He gestured to the couch and Ryder sat down and pulled me down onto his lap. I rolled my eyes and moved to the seat next to him. He kept a protective arm around me as the guy sat down.

"So, I suppose I'll start with the fact that my name is Russet," the guy, Russet, said. "Anyways, I need a favor from you Ryder."

Ryder's mouth went into a tight line and he squeezed my side. I rolled my eyes crossing my arms and hoping I seemed confident. I don't think Russet was buying it though as he grinned at me. I just huffed and looked away at the wall listening to the conversation. Russet slapped a paper on the table. With a quick glance, I tried to keep the fear out of my face seeing a picture of Uncle Daron and Tom together. It looked as if they were talking frustratedly and I could tell Tom had been upset at the time of the picture.

"These two are very important to our particular line of work here. The dark headed, older one, Daron Michaels is his name, he's one of our best transporters. Recently, he lost an important product and we need it back. The other one, Tom Robinson, your brother ain't he," he grinned at me, "He's been helping cover Daron's tracks. Now, we know you might not want to do this seeing as one of them is important to your lady here, but think about dear ol' dad. If you can manage to bring both here, not dead but as close as you can get, we'll let your dad off with a warning. If that's not enough to convince you, well, she might be a fair trade for the product we lost." He points at me and whistles softly, making a burly guy come up to grab my arms.

I tense up and stomp my foot onto his. The man, caught off guard, let's go of me as I turn to knee him in the groin. Before I can inflict any damage, Russet grabs me and shoves me back into the other mans arms. This time he shoves me into my chair and holds my arms down behind it painfully. Ryder is being held down by two more guys that seemed to have shown up out of the shadows. Ryder almost growls and yells to Russet, " Let her go or it's your life you need to worry about!"

Russet shrugs and sends Ryder to a second room in the apartment as I'm dragged back to the bedroom I was in. The cloth was held over my mouth and nose again. Quickly, I drifted back to darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ryder's POV

I used all my strength to get the two jackasses off me, almost succeeding. But, to my dismay, they regained their grip and forced me into the next room just as I saw Kate's eyes close. The door was locked and I was tied down to a chair. Russet put a hand on my shoulder. I jerked it off, rubbing the rope on my wrists painfully against my skin.

"Why the hell would I help you?" I glared at all the men in the room.

"You don't want to lose your dad, or your girlfriend do you? No? Then just be a good lad and do as your told," he said knowing he'd won this argument. I hung my head down to glare at the floor.

"Fine, you just need me to bring them here, nothing else, no involvement in what happens next?"

"Unless you wanna join in fun," he laughed darkly

"No thanks, get these things off me, they will be here by tomorrow."

Russet snapped and they untied the ropes quickly. I stood up, walking out and slamming the door closed hearing a crack behind me followed by deep laughter. I stormed through the house looking for Kate. They were stupid to leave one guy watching her and I was proud of her fighting this guy twice her size. I walked up to him, he was already in high alert from the door cracking. I grabbed his collar, shoved him to the ground, and crushed my knee into his chest. He starts wheezing and I crash my fist to his face hearing a satisfying crunch. He wasn't out, but definitely stunned so I gave one more quick punch to finish him. I pushed off his chest hearing a groan from the almost unconscious man and kicked in the door he was guarding. I burst into the room and frantically looked around for her. Only darkness and a quiet room met my glance. She was gone. Where? How?

"Don't worry, we'll take good care of her. Till tomorrow that is. You gave your word, get the job done, you'll get her back, unharmed," Russet stood at the door frame with crossed arms and an disgusting glint in his eyes as he adds, "mostly." I huff and shove him aside to leave.

God, why did she have to follow me? She'll hate me if I do this, but at least she'll be safe..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kate's POV

The smell hit me first. Mold and rust permeating the air and surrounding me. My brain felt like it was hammering out of my skull. I looked around in the dark praying my eyes would adjust. Nothing. It was all black. I hugged my body and curled up in the corner I woke up in. I listened to the sound of silence and my own shaky breaths.

For what felt like hours I stayed like that, not moving, sitting as close as I could to the cold wall. My mind started to darken as I thought about these hours being my last. I thought about Tom and how much I was worried about him. How much I'm going to miss Ryder. I thought about Ash and Uncle Daron, and what was going on with them. How Rain was probably being lectured by her parents on the importance of earths beauty. I even thought about my mother who wasn't actually my mother. I hated her, but she still raised me. Then for the first time in a while, I thought about my dad. I guess he wasn't my real dad, but he still loved me like he was. He was just like Tom. Or Tom was just like him. He always showed me how beautiful he thought I was. He was always one my side and always protected me.

My eyes started to water. I fought to keep the tears at bay but I felt them falling down my cheeks. Ryder wasn't going to save me. Tom still thinks I'm not talking to him. Dad is gone, and mom would never care. I'm all alone, exactly how I started before I was taken in. Exactly how I started school. I'm alone and no one is coming to take me out of this darkness. My body heaved and shook. My breaths came out in sobs. My throat started closing and my head pounded harder. Panting and sobbing more, I let the panic set in. I laid back on my side, bit back the pain and let the darkness take me once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone! So it's been quite a while since I've worked on this book. I hope I still have some readers out there! Everyone can go thank my roommate, By_Annabelle for making me restart the book ❤️

Enjoy!