Chapter 14 - Hayden

Start from the beginning

Sounds like you had a brilliant day.

If typing twenty pages and then throwing them in the trash means brilliant, then yes. My day was spectacular.

I can only imagine her singsong voice as she says the last words, every syllable laced with irony.

What about you? she asks, and lie there in bed, thinking of a reply that's neither too pushy, nor a straight-up lie.

I missed you today. It's the truth—I am absolutely drained and exhausted, and all I wanted to do all day was look at her gorgeous face to pull me back up again.

When she doesn't reply for a couple of minutes, I'm almost afraid I scared her away by being too forward again. With Mila, there's a fine line between being challenging and being pushy. One sends her away; the other lets me get to know her on a deeper level.

You did? Her response comes in as I brush my teeth, and I smile while typing a quick reply.

Yes, Lucky. I did.

Can I ask you something?

Always. I send the response as I get into bed.

Please don't take this the wrong way... But why do you show me so much attention?

And once again I'm baffled by her change of attitude. Sometimes it gives me whiplash how quickly she changes from insecure and shy to confident and upfront. I don't feel like I'm showing you enough attention, really, I answer truthfully.

What do you mean?

What I mean is...I wanted to see you all day. I wanted to look at your beautiful eyes, because honestly, the memory of them kept me sane these past few days. Just telling her this makes me sigh—I just want to see her.

And what would you have done if I'd been there with you?

Her text surprises me...is she asking what I think she's asking? You want to know what I'd do if you were here with me?

Yes.

Okay. She is.

Well, game on... I'd start by kissing you as soon as you step foot inside this room. Because that's all I ever want to do when I look at you.

I think I'd like that.

I raise an eyebrow. You think?

You're a tease...but no. I know I'd love that.

Gods, I'm grinning like a fucking idiot right now. I know. You love the teasing, though. But do you know what I'd do after that?

What would you do? I can almost see the blush on her face, can hear her breathless voice when she asks that...

I'd probably lift you up and carry you to the gigantic couch in this room.

Because it's more comfortable?

Her answer makes me laugh, and I shake my head as I keep on typing, my phone illuminating the dark bedroom. No, because I'd want you to do that thing you do.

That thing I do?

Just thinking about that specific thing does something to me. It's the hottest goddamn feeling ever. That thing you do when we kiss, where you lose yourself in it and end up jumping me, straddling me, whatever's suitable at the moment. It drives me crazy.

I don't do that.

Oh, but you do, Lucky. And it's sexy as hell.

Her reply lights up my phone after a couple of minutes, and I'm once again startled by her raw honesty. I don't know what to say to that. 'Sexy as hell' is not how I'd describe myself.

And it makes me wonder, again—why she is that way, why she talks herself down like that. She surely doesn't deserve it. You should. Because you are.

Thank you. You're sexy as hell too, by the way.

It's a refreshing thing, being complimented this much by someone like Mila. It feels like it means something with her. I'm glad you think so.

You must hear that all the time...

Not from anyone who matters. I might sound pretentious, or like I'm feigning honesty, but I'm not. It's the truth, short and simple.

You're such a charmer...

Like I said...only for you, Lucky. Only for you.