FIVE | LITTLE BIRD

FIVE | LITTLE BIRD

Music is blaring in the 40 Watt that night, deafening to all those who dare to enter. Not that many people enter on a Tuesday night for a lesser known cover band. Even still on a tamer night, the bartender tends to the attendees in her exquisite manner of always entertaining them for the night but never anything longer. Any longer would simply be blasphemy.

Jett stands by herself tonight, her being able to handle the small crowd even in her worst mind state. Not that it matters. Not much matters to her anymore. Some wonder if it ever did.

She sashays behind the bar, pouring the bourbon over ice as she progresses towards the customer stood at the end of the bar, waiting with a patient enchantment.

"Can I get anything else for you?" she asks, setting the drink before him.

"I'm good. Thanks, Jett," he says with a blushing smile. He seems familiar, that blushing smile of his, one she has most definitely seen before. Perhaps one of her regulars, though she is not sure from which occupation, previous or current. Even still, she never bothers to learn his name and never will.

"Of course," she nods, offering him a smile that only infuriated his cheeks even further. Her influence never fails to slip her notice, though she has grown used to the feeling after all these years, has grown accustomed to viewing herself as someone worth remembering. She lusts to be remembered, but it is so much more than that. She lusts to be remembered for her chaos, her passion, that which very few arise within her.

The soft clang of the door can barely be heard over the music, so much so of the two stood closest, only she notices the sound. Then again, he is too fixated on her to notice much anything else. Her focus shifts from him to the door, and without looking back, she walks further down the bar to approach the newcomer still lost in the darkness. He sighs with great dismay at the continued outcome of his attempt at conversation, at her continued lack of interest and focus that he so craved. Reluctantly, he collects his drink and steps deeper into the venue.

Jett walks from one end of the bar to the other, unable to see the newcomer in the darkness. Though, when she finally reaches the other end to see them, she cannot help but chuckle.

"Welcome back, sweetheart," she says, that beaming grin so many have mistaken for excited to see them on her lips. "Looks like everyone is coming to see me today."

Emmett is one of those who mistook it, though how could he help but fall for her mispercieved desire. It is seemingly inevitable that he always will.

"Ah. So, I'm not the only one who longs for your company?" Emmett says, propping one arm against the bar.

Jett scoffs. "Far from it, actually."

"Well, a little bird told me you were working tonight," Emmett admits. "So, thought I'd swing by and say hi."

With one eyebrow raised, she asks, "I'm assuming that little bird is Young?"

Emmett shrugs his shoulders. "I can neither confirm or deny."

"So, what?" Jett asks, mindlessly preparing a Tito's and Redbull with her hands while her eyes remain strictly on him. "Am I supposed to ask how your day was?"

"Well, it was quite good actually," he says, ignoring her clear insinuation of indifference and disinterest. "Got to work for a little bit."

She nods. "What do you do for work?"

"Something," he says, beaming that all too familiar on her behalf smirk of knowing something someone else does not.

Jett chuckles, setting the drink down in front of him, the concoction already dripping beads of sweat along the tall glass. "Am I not privy to such information?"