Didn't Mean It - Chapter 16

Days went by and there was no sign of leaving. Everyday was pure agony with the anxiety of not knowing what would be coming next. There was nothing to do and there was no where we were allowed to go. I hadn’t heard from my brother since I’d left until one morning when Liam came to get me from where I sat in the bedroom starring blankly out the window which was covered by slanted blinds.

     “Ashley, someone’s on the phone for you.” He said walking into the room. I nodded and followed him to the room where the phone sat off the hook waiting for my reply.

     “Hello?” I said picking up the phone and putting it to my ear.

     “Ashley. Are you alright?” I smiled when I heard my brother’s voice on the other line.

     “Yes. Where are you?” I asked him hoping he’d give me some insight of what was happening to him and to myself.

    “Don’t worry about where I am.” He said reassuring me.

     “Why do you sound so frantic?” I asked him nervously.

      “I’m going to tell you something but you have to promise not to freak out.” He said and I could hear how tense his voice got.

     “I promise.” I said immediately regretting my decision.

     “Mum’s missing.” He said. His words hit me with a cold gust of air. A chill washed over my body knowing Jared had something to do with it.

     “She can’t be.” I said denying the truth.

     “She is though and they’re trying their best to find her but it isn’t looking good.” Josh said trying to calm me down.

      “It doesn’t look good?!” I yelled on the phone. “Josh they probably killed her, of course it doesn’t look good. This is all your fault. If you never made me go to the police none of this would have happened.” 

     “I had to help you. It’s not like you were quick to tell anyone he’s in a gang.” Josh said back in a nasty tone.

     “It’s not like anyone asked.” I snapped back.

     “Yeah well, Ashley, it’s too late now. You need to stay where you are though because I know you too well to know you’re going to go look for her. Stay where you are and don’t leave.” He warned.

      “Fine.” I said. “I guess I’ll talk to you later. Bye.” I didn’t wait for his response. I just hung up the phone.

      “My mum’s missing.” I said turning to Liam.

      “No she’s not.” Liam was able to choke out.

      “Yes she is. I know Jared had something to do with it. He probably killed her by now.” I said with tears flooding over my eyes and Liam rushing to wrap his arms around me.

      “It will all be okay Ashley. Don’t think the worst of things just yet.” He said running his fingers through my hair.

      “I don’t know how much longer I can take this. They won’t stop until they find me Liam. I have to leave and I have to let them find me. We have to set them up. There’s no other way to save my mum and there’s no other way to escape this.” I said looking him in the eyes so he knew I was serious.

      “Ashley, we can’t do that. You’ll risk your own life.” He said to me.

      “It’s a risk I’m willing to take.” I said strongly and bravely.

      “Are you sure?” He asked nervously.

      “Yes.” I said once again in a strong tone that people would think would shake by what I was getting myself into.

     “I have to help you though. I’m not letting you do this alone.” He said taking my hand.

     “Just promise me you won’t tell Josh.” I said nervously.

     “I promise.”