Chapter 32

As dawn began to set across the skyline of the Louisiana plains, we all stood outside the backdoor of the plantation with our backpacks packed and ready to go. We were waiting for either Killigan or Mr. Crenshaw to show us how we would get to New York, and what lay ahead of us in this fretful mission. That could change the whole world's technological landscape of life that we've grown accustomed to.

"Gee, what's taking them so long? They said to meet in the backyard at dawn, right?" Jules said.

"Yeah, they did. I don't know what's taking them so long, but there must be a reason." I answered while looking out in the emptiness of the field ahead of me.

Then Olivia chimed in, "Well...I hope they get here soon, because I'm getting nervous."

"I think we're all nervous about the mission, but I have full faith that things will work out," I answered her.

"I hope so," she said.

A couple of minutes later, an area of ground in the field began to shake. I thought it was some sort of sinkhole forming, but when I looked closer, I noticed that the circular area was rotating as the patch of land began to slowly disappear into the edges of the circle to create a hole. And in the hole, we saw metal walls that encased a high-tech plane that looked like a smaller, more compact version of the Blackbird X-Jet from X-men. But instead of being an elongated plane, with outstretched wings, and a sharp nose, it was the size of a small helicopter, with wings appropriate for its size, with a sharpened nose. I must have looked as happy as a nerd in the comic store, as the jet's platform began to lift up to our level.

At that time, Killigan burst out of the backyard doors of the plantation, looking as calm as imaginable.

"Well, agents. How we feeling about the mission?"

"I think we're feeling pretty good about it, Killigan. But I'm sure you can understand that we're all nervous about tonight's mission for our own different reasons." I answered.

"Yeah, I understand. But let me put all your minds at ease by saying. That tonight, I believe each and every one of you will show what you're truly made of. We will show those terrorists and all their destruction that we will not bow down because of the loss of our dear, loved Teddy. And that the GAU has the grit, fight, and the determination to take them down. Now...I have a present for all of us for the mission."

He opened his hands in front of him to reveal little boxes of contact lenses that we each reached for a box to put on.

"What are these for?" Cam finally spoke.

"Nice to hear from you, Cam. I was getting a little worried that we'd lost you for a second there." Killigan exclaimed in an oddly cheerful kind of way. Then proceeded to answer,

"But to answer your question. These contacts are not your average contact lenses. Because these give our eyes the ability to go beyond the average."

At that moment, he lifted one of the contact lenses onto his finger and began squinting at it with his one good eye.

"These little suckers will allow us to see in the dark like night vision goggles, but with way less bulk."

"I see. And why are these so important?" Cam asked.

"Because wouldn't it be nice to see when we turn out the lights during our breach?"

To which, Cam laughed and said, "Ha, smart."

After we all put on the contact lenses, he led us all into the jet. Where in our seats, laid a new kind of backpack that I'd never seen before. It was a lightweight, metallic material, just like my prosthetics that had what looked like mufflers on the bottom of it.