Chapter Thirteen

"Alright. That's it for today's lesson," the Beginners' class instructor, Sir Baron, announced. "Celeste, Cynthia, great job today. I anticipate that you will have all the basic footwork, blocks, and strikes down in three more weeks or so... Provided that you come to training every day and practice for at least two hours afterwards."

No sooner had the words left his mouth when the aura in the training field relaxed and was soon filled with amiable chatting. While the instructor retired, collecting his leather-bound notebook and weapon, everyone in the class lowered their swords and convened into their small cliques. Celeste, immensely satisfied with the praise she had gotten, parted with Cynthia and walked over to Kylie, who had been standing alone.

She bumped Kylie with her shoulder. "Training is already six hours a day," she whispered to her sister, sniggering.

"I know," Kylie sighed, surprised by her own defensive tone, almost as if she was bothered by the subject. Although she had been improving, she was still agitated by her lack of performance. Or maybe part of it was that she felt under pressure by the fact that her sister was quickly becoming the best in their squadron. But, telling herself to not take it so personally, she shook her head and amended, in a friendlier tone, "It sure is tiring. But we're doing really well."
"I know! I wonder if we could have learned how to use a sword"- she lowered her voice, shielding her whisper with a cupped palm while furtively looking around to make sure nobody was eavesdropping- "you know, before, when we were kids."

Kylie responded in an equally low voice, though in less of a whisper. "We're still kids. It's just that things are different now."

Her sister leaned back and looked at her, a sly grin playing upon her face. "Yeah, yeah. If you're so not-grown-up, what have you been doing after school- uh, training, I mean- for the past week?"

"I told you, I'm getting private help."

"Like tutoring?"

"Kinda like that." She realized that she hadn't sheathed her sword yet, so, without looking at Celeste, she slipped it into her belt and began to gather up her own notebooks (she was perhaps the only student who took physical notes). Celeste did the same, sheathing her own sword into her scabbard.

As the two walked out of the Training Base, descending the steps that led to the rest of the city, Celeste asked, "Hey, I know you've been really busy with your, uh, tutoring, and I totally respect that, but if you're free now do you want to take a walk around the city? I just realized that even after all this time, we still haven't seen it all."

Kylie thought for a moment. "No, I don't see my lessons happening until six."
"So we've still got an hour," Celeste smiled. "You know, I kind of want to see the other places, other than the Square. You good with that?"

"Sure."

They turned around and began to walk in the opposite direction, away from where the city was more populated to where it was more open. On one side of them, the cobblestone road on the other there was a lush, green lawn that was separated from another property by a stone wall. Although the Base was open to the sky, sometimes it still seemed just a little restricted, so it was nice for both sisters to get the chance to walk along the quieter side of the city.

Celeste tilted her head up, closing her eyes, and took a deep breath, relishing the fresh air. When she opened them again, she kept her gaze ahead of her and asked, "Kylie?"
"Yeah?"
"Can you remember when we first came here, to Agrelind?"
Kylie nodded. "Of course. That was weeks ago." She hesitated, but went ahead, softening her voice. "But can I try to guess what you're thinking?"