Chapter 22: Hidden Beauties

Peter texted me back saying that he was on his way down. It felt nice to be spontaneous, which was different for me. I guess I was trying to become a different person. Or, perhaps maybe just trying to discover who I really am.

I heard the door open, and glanced back to see Peter walking out. His expression turned to a smile when he saw me. He was wearing a green jacket on top of a gray hoodie and a dark gray T-shirt and jeans. I turned around to greet him.

"So...where are we gonna go?" he asked, fidgeting with his hands.

"Anywhere. I just had to get away from home. You know the city, where should we go?" I asked.

"Hmm...actually I know this really pretty area...it's-"

"Wait! Don't tell me. Surprise me," I said, smirking.

"Oh okay," he said, leading the way to his secret area.

"Peter, I don't know if I've told you this, but I really appreciate you. I mean, since we first met, you've made my transfer to Midtown so much easier," I told him, hands in the pocket of my sweatshirt. He smiled and looked at me.

"Yeah...thanks I uh, really appreciate that...and you," he said.

"But I must admit, you're a lot to handle," he said, chuckling.

"What do you mean?" I said, laughing.

"Well how many times has Spider-Man or I had to save you from something?" he said, smug. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I mean, I only told you about the one time he saved me," I said.

"Okay, so how many have you not told me about?" he asked, nudging me a bit.

"It was one other time!" I admitted, throwing my hands in the air.

"Ha see! That's 3 times in less than 1 week. Keep it up and you will be Spider-Man's only concern," he said, chuckling. I elbowed him lightly in the side.

"Hey I can handle myself! This week was like my first week in the big city, so yeah I screwed up a bit," I said.

"What was that other time Spider-Man saved you?" Peter asked, seeming very interested.

"Oh...uh...I guess I'll tell you. I was trying to recreate Spider-Man's web shooters, and it didn't go as planned..." I told him, embarrassed.

"Wow, you really do have a nag for getting yourself into trouble," he remarked. I got déjà vu. Spider-Man had said that to me the last time I needed his help. I brushed it off.

"It's not like I'm trying to," I said. "Where are we even going?" I added, looking around, not familiar with this part of Queens.

"You told me not to tell you. Actually, we are getting close so maybe you should...I don't know, close your eyes?" he suggested.

"Okay...but how will I make it the rest of the way there?" I asked.

"I'll guide you. But first...no peeking," he said, taking off his dark green lightweight jacket and tying it gently around my eyes. I couldn't see a thing.

"Alright now give me your hands, please," he said, and I held them out. I felt his soft hands meet mine as he gently grabbed hold of them, and led me down the street.

"Good...good...okay yeah just keep going straight," his voice told me. I moved very slowly, worried I would hit something.

"Hey it's okay! I got you. Do you trust me?" he asked. I didn't even have to think about my response.

"Yes," I told him, continuing forward with a bit more trust in Peter's navigation.

"Okay now watch your step...there...perfect! We are almost there," he said, as I started to hear sounds of water rushing below us.

"Peter you aren't about to dump me into a sewer, are you?" I joked. I heard that sweet sound of his laughter holler back.

"Haha not yet. Alright now stop here, and stand..." he said, putting his hands on my waist to position me. I felt myself blushing.

"Right there! You ready?" he said, I could hear him standing slightly behind me to my right.

"Yep!" I said. I felt his hands move up towards my head to untie the blindfold. I opened my eyes and saw the most beautiful scenery I had ever seen.

The sun was setting over the Harlem River, while we had a perfect view of Manhattan and it's city lights started to glow in the settling darkness. I gasped, leaning over the railing in front of us.

"Peter...this is...this is beautiful!" I exclaimed, not taking my eyes off the sight, imprinting it into my brain.

"I'm glad you like it. I thought you would," he said, leaning over the railing, next to me. I looked away from it to look at Peter, another perfect sight.

"Where are we?" I asked, still unsure of where we were.

"Astoria Park," he replied, as I took a brief glance around.

"I'm coming here all the time. It's stunning," I breathed.

"so are you..." Peter said under his breath. I looked at him and bumped him a bit.

"Thank you," I said. He jolted his head up and turned pink.

"You heard that?" he said, embarrassed.

"Yeah, you dork," I said, linking arms with him. I watched the sun go down, as I could see out of the corner of my eye Peter watching me.

"You really like sunsets," Peter remarked.

"Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why. Just the way the sky changes I guess," I shrugged.

The sun had finally set and I looked down to the water.

"Peter Parker you really know how to make someone happy," I said, pulling him away and towards where we had come from.

"I'm glad you liked it. I found this place by accident one day, but I'm happy I did," he said, catching up to me.

"How is it that we have only known each other a couple days, yet I feel like we've known each other for years," I commented.

"Yeah...that's interesting, isn't it?" he said.