Chapter 8: Emergency

"Peter?" I asked.

"Yep," he said, smiling in my direction.

"Why are you so fascinated with Spider-Man?" I asked, as if I wasn't also a little obsessed with him. Peter's eyes widened.

"Oh...uh. You know. He's just super cool. He helps people and uses his powers for good. I think that's...uh... very noble of him," Peter said quietly.

"Riiiiiight," I say back, nudging him a bit. He nudges back, almost knocking me to the floor. I was surprised at how strong he seemed.

"See you after class?" Peter asked, holding the door to my classroom open.

"Yes Peter, now go! Bells about to ring," I told him,

"How do you already have the class times memorized?" he asked.

"Im smart Parker. Great memory," I said pushing him along. He smiled and left.

My English class sucked. I wasn't bad at it, but there was SO much work to do. Towards the end of class, I had to escape to the bathroom with my phone since I was SO BORED!

I was surprised to see a text from my dad.

IronDad: Hey hon. Sorry if I am interrupting you at school, but there is an emergency in the Avengers Tower. Someone tried to break in and hacked Friday.

Me: OMG what?! Is everyone okay?!

IronDad: Everything is okay. Just a mild security breach. I'm having it checked out, but i don't want you home until I know it's safe. If you could go hang out with someone or go somewhere until around 8, that would be good. No walking around NY alone though

I was shocked. How could someone hack Friday? Someone was trying to get inside our home. What if they knew who I was?! This was terrible!

IronDad: Stop thinking about walking around alone. I'll know.

Shit. I left him on read.

Me: K I'll figure something out. Not walking around alone.

After class was over, my mind was in circles. I wasn't even thinking about where I was gonna go after school. Thankfully in the moment, Peter walked towards me.

"Hey....you okay? I noticed you looked kind of....worried," he said, looking into my eyes with concern. I avoided his gaze.

"No. Someone tried to break into my house. My dad is getting it checked out, but I'm scared to go home," I told him, my hands were shaking a bit. Peter's eyes widened in shock.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry!" he pulled me into a tight hug. I relaxed into his shoulder, as he held my head and my back gently, pulling me closer to him. The warmth on his body made me relax a bit. He pulled away.

"If you want, you can stay at my place for a bit?" he offered, holding my hands in his.

"Oh, I really wouldn't want to bother your parents..." I told him, looking down. I didn't want him to see me look so worried. He gently cupped my face up to his eyes.

"It's just my aunt May, and she's perfectly fine with you coming over, I promise," he said, gazing into my eyes.

"alright..." I said quietly putting on a fake smile. I was so embarrassed he was seeing me like this. I wanted to be tough. I was tough. But, he was so kind and gentle. I couldn't help feeling... something. Some warm feeling. Peter smiled and we started to walk towards his home.

"Is it okay if we make a quick stop on the way there?" Peter asked.

"Oh sure! Where are we stopping?" I asked.

"Oh, you'll see," he said, smirking. It seemed obvious that he was trying to distract me, but it was working. Kind of.

A few minutes later we arrived at (get this), the deli shop I hid from the rain in yesterday. Near the alleyway. I shuddered, trying not to think about it. I forced another happy smile on my face and thought happy thoughts.

"This, is by far, the best sandwich shop in New York," Peter announced. He seemed so proud of this one small shop. I couldn't remember anything spectacular about it. Just a basic deli.

We walked in and the guy behind the desk seemed to recognize Peter.

"Parker," the man announced.

"Hey Mr. Delmar," Peter replied, cheerfully.

"Your usual?" he asked, writing something down.

"Yeah, two of them please," Peter said, looking at me.

"Whats your usual?" I asked Peter.

"A number 5 with pickles and..."

"...and smushed down real flat," Mr. Delmar finished, smiling. Peter smiled and looked down.

"Pickles?" I questioned. I wasn't very picky, but I had never had pickles before. They didn't sound good though.

"You'll love it, I promise," Peter said, all wide eyed. Very adorable.

"And what if I don't?" I said, laughing.

"Then, I get to have two. Win win!" he said, enthusiastically.

"$10 kid," Mr. Delmar said. Peter reached into his pocket and pulled out at $10 bill, handing it to Mr. Delmar. Peter took the sandwiches and handed one to me.

"Alright Parker," I said, taking the sandwich.

"Thanks Mr. Delmar!" Peter yelled as he held the door for me. I stepped out and waved to Mr. Delmar, as he waved back.

"He seems nice," I said, cupping the sandwich.