Chapter 11: New Dangers

Peter walked me out of his building, but, something felt different between us. I couldn't identify what the feeling was. It felt...tense. We were...so close to... you know.

Peter and I were waiting outside of his building for Happy to arrive, when I noticed Peter start to shiver.

"It's alright, you can go inside. He will be here any minute. I'll be okay," I told him. Peter sighed.

"I can't leave you out here. It's dangerous," he said, full of worry.

"Peter, it's 1 minute. I'll survive," I promised him. Then I remembered something.

"Oh right! Your shirt..." I said, almost taking it off without thinking.

"No, it's fine...you should....uh...keep it. It's too small for me anyways," he said. I could tell he was lying, but I did want to keep it.

"Are you sure?" I asked, just to be polite. I didn't actually want him to change his mind.

"Yeah, totally sure," he smiled. Then, Happy pulled up in front of us. I opened the door, turned back around and smiled at Peter one more time.

"Thanks Peter, for everything," I said before getting in.

Peter smiled and walked back into his building.

"Happy, is my dad okay?" I asked him. Happy seemed tense. And confused. I brushed it off as news about my father.

"He's on a mission kid. He said for me to drop you off at an apartment he got for you here in the city. He said you are more safe there than at home right now," he said, starting to drive away.

"What?! Is everything okay? Is it not safe to go home?" I asked frantically. Even though I should be used to things always being uncertain at my house, I wasn't.

"Calm down, I'm sure everything will be alright. Your dad is in pursuit of the people possibly behind the break in, and he wasn't sure if they would try and come back to the Avengers tower. That's all he told me. You will be safe at the apartment," he promised. I turned to look out the window. I worried for my dad. I always did.

Sooner or later we arrived at what I guessed was the new apartment building complex. Happy walked me up to the right one, handed me the keys, and then left me alone to drive back to the tower.

The apartment was bland and boring. No real colors. Not much of any style either. Just, white and grey furniture with minimal decor. I didn't mind. I tried to be grateful for anything and everything I had.

I looked outside all the windows, and figured out pretty quick that I was close to that sandwich shop Peter and I went to that day. That put a smile on my face.

I opened my phone to check if dad had texted anything. But nothing. I tried to stop thinking about it. Instead, my mind raced with thoughts of Spider-Man. I forgot how obsessed I became with figuring out information on him.

As the sun started to go down, I decided to watch the sunset from the fire escape on the side of the building. I climbed out the bedroom window, and onto the fire escape. The view was alright. Buildings, busy streets, and the sky, which was now orange and pink. I breathed in the autumn air and relaxed onto one of the steps.

Finally, the sun set on the horizon. I turned to go back inside the apartment, when a noise I heard something from below me caught my attention.

I looked down to see 2 men in black talking and laughing in the alleyway between my building and another. I had an uneasy feeling settling in my stomach. That's when one of the men pulled out a gun. I almost fell back onto the steps, which would have made noise. I looked back down to see them watching people who walked by the alley.

Something about this felt all too familiar. I knew they were up to no good, but I felt powerless. I couldn't do anything. Even if I just got their attention, they would shoot at me. I would be defenseless. And they would know where I lived. That's when I noticed something moving out of the corner of my eye.

On the building to my left, I saw a figure. It was too dark to know who it was. The figure lay perched on the fire escape railing, watching. Waiting. They didn't seem to notice me. When suddenly, the figure swung down to the men.

Spider-Man. It was Spider-Man.