Chapter 11 - Mila

Start from the beginning

Every time we kiss, it's like a hurricane swirls through me, leaving me breathless and my head spinning from desire, need, and heat. I moan and circle my arms around his neck, pulling him toward me, wanting—no, needing—to have him closer.

I don't even care about the donuts anymore, the last two dropping to the floor when Hayden obliges my needs without hesitation. Our tongues start to dance while I hold on to him for dear life, my fingers combing through his hair as he hooks up my leg, his firm grip on my thigh sending a moan down my lips.

And then he releases a deep, guttural growl that shakes me to my core, waking me up in a way no coffee or donut ever could. But that growl sends a tidal wave of realization through my veins, because I suddenly comprehend...I just greeted this god of a man in sweatpants and a coffee-stained sweater with donut crumbs all over me.

He resists when I pull back, but eventually gives in, his forehead leaning against mine as we both take deep breaths, my mind numb and simultaneously racing at a hundred miles per hour. "God, what are you doing to me, Lucky?" His breath fans my skin, his words only intensifying my exhilaration.

"You tell me, Cash..."

He pulls back, that amused twinkle in his eyes when he asks, "Cash?"

"I still need to prove that theory." I can't help but smirk at my own reply.

He laughs at my words, a beautiful and melodic laugh that's like music to my ears. I watch him intently as he runs his fingers through his thick, hazel hair before he shakes his head, reaching for the duffel bag by his feet. He rummages in it until he finds what he was looking for, a huge grin crossing his face the second he stretches out his hand to me.

The phone in his palm sends a chuckle down my lips, although I also have to swallow this lump of humiliation in my throat, trying not to drown in the feeling of being such a failure.

"Can I get mine too?" he asks in amusement.

"Of course." I shake my head with a smile. "Give me a second." I rush into the bedroom and pick up the phone from my nightstand, glancing at the mirror. Yup, I look just as shitty as I thought I would. But there's no going back now. He did kiss my brains out mere seconds ago, even though I look like I awoke from a thousand-year-long slumber.

And so I walk back into the hallway, spotting him leaning against the wall as I wave the phone in my hand. "There you go. I promise I treated it like it was my own."

"I appreciate it." He smirks, that twinkle once again appearing in his eyes, almost like this situation was the most normal thing in the world.

"So..." I run my fingers through my hair to comb it, focusing on anything but him, the sudden awkwardness of this situation overpowering my brain.

"So..." he repeats and reaches out for me, his thumb gently brushing over my cheek before he lifts up my chin, our gazes locking in an instant.

As I stare into those forest-green eyes, something happens within me, just like it did the first time we kissed. I feel different, and I guess that explains how I end up leaning forward, getting on my toes to brush my lips over his own, my entire body tingling from the sensation of his touch.

I feel the grin on his lips when he kisses me back, gently, cautiously, kindly. This must be the longest kiss I've ever shared without deepening it, and still, my heart thunders from this simple but exhilarating touch, threatening to give away my desire for this man. He seems to notice too, because he suddenly pulls back, his forehead resting against mine as he whispers, "I'll see you later, Lucky." Just like that, he turns around and disappears as quickly as he arrived, only turning back around when he reaches the stairwell.