Chapter 2

"Let's go! Let's go!" My door slammed into the wall as Dad ran in. "Today's the big day, slugger."

I groaned as I rolled over to see that it is still dark outside. "Five more minutes."

"Oh no you don't. Your mom said we have a hike ahead of us so let's go!" Dad hopped up onto my bed and jumped around until I started laughing.

"Alright! Alright! I'm up! Just give me a few minutes and I will be down."

Dad sauntered out the door. "Better hurry up because I will not be leaving you any grilled tomatoes."

I rushed to get dressed in jeans and an Ireland hoodie, threw my duffle over my shoulder, and ran down the stairs. I walked into our small kitchen to see a bowl on the counter with whisk beating eggs all by itself while a spatula stirred sausages around in a pan on the stove. Dad sat at the table chugging down a glass of orange juice.

Mom roses up from the fridge behind the fridge door. "Blimey, Noah, will you slow down? Acting like a pig at a trough."

"I'm just excited," Dad's voice was muffled by a piece of toast.

"Ditto," I smile as I pour a glass of orange juice for myself and top off Dad's from the pitcher at the table. 

Our house was a small, well-worn cottage. Apparently, no one wanted to buy the house because the old woman that had lived here before us had died in my bedroom while knitting one night. They claimed that it was haunted but I have never seen her ghost to my dismay. Plus she had died of natural causes so I really didn't believe she would want to haunt my bedroom randomly. One downside to moving to a new country with a low income, was finding a house within the right price range. Mom has made it as cozy as she could. Pictures of our time in America were everywhere. The old woman's cuckoo clock sat on the wall beside the kitchen table. I had made Mom and Dad keep it cause I thought it was cool. The raven residing in it popped its head out as I chugged my orange juice and chirped four times with every chirp representing one hour.

Mom sat down with us and we ate breakfast boisterously as Dad asked questions and made us laugh. We gathered our bags, locked up the house, and set off across the chilly, early-morning moors. Slowly, the sun rose up in a pink tinge against the long, lush grass. I almost rolled my ankle in a rabbit hole, but I was lucky enough to have caught myself quick enough. However, Dad did fall down when he started making exaggerated, out of breath faces at me. Mom was getting tired too, but I was feeling pretty good. Even though I only play Quidditch now, I used to play softball and soccer as a child and still insist on running almost everyday to stay in shape. The only issue I was really having was the chill, moist air that clung to any skin not covered. My face and hands were cold to the touch.

I had them in my armpits as we reached the top of Stoatshead Hill overlooking the village of Ottery St. Catchpole. Everything was quiet down in the village below since it was still too early for anyone to be waking up.

"No one seems to be here yet." Mom looked around and pointed. "I see the portkey over there."

Just as she said that, two heads popped up from the hill behind the boot. Both were panting slightly from the trek up.

"Cedric!" I called. I raced towards him and who I assumed to be his father.

Cedric held his arms out and gave me a big hug. "How are you?"

"Amazing. How about you?" I asked as I pulled away and grinned up at him.

"Just fine. Ready for the Quidditch World Cup?" He winked at me. "Might be useful to pick up some pointers for our own team while watching."

I playfully shoved him. "Can't we just have some fun watching the match?"

"I guess I can let it slide just this once."