Eleven Days Until

My cafeteria tray was red. Very red. It had scratches from years of constant use, and the shiny plastic coating had corroded over time. Someone had even carved the letters 'M+M 4EVA' onto the handle.

I was studying the hard plastic very intently. Too intently. With the intention of doing everything in my power to avoid Bianca's piercing stare.

"So how was your Thanksgiving break?" she asked for the third time. "Do anything exciting?" Amos and Sami stopped their conversation to stare at us both.

Bianca knew that something wasn't right, and this lunchtime hour was for hungry investigative work. Her eyes looked over at me, carefully, from head to toe, then back up again.

She'd been scrutinising me since the first morning bell, when I'd hopped out of Olly's metal contraption and joined my group of friends. Looking to confirm that something had changed.

I spoke the words that I had pre-programmed into my brain, like the automated robot I'd become. "I spent Thanksgiving with my family," I replied. "Just like everybody else. It was great."

"Louise also stayed at my place for a couple days," Sami added just in time. Her bright face and relaxed mouth hinted at nothing. Her eyes darted to mine. "We went over different colleges and debating programs."

I nodded. "I found a great one with an all-inclusive political debate scholarship. I even went to the campus to see if it was for me."

"Where?" Bianca asked.

"In Naperville."

"You went to visit a college campus when everything was closed for the holidays?" she pressed. Her eyebrows were high. "And you went by yourself?"

I chewed on a bite of pizza slowly. Taking my time to swallow. "Yup."

Bianca crossed her arms over her chest, leaning against her chair. "Sounds extremely legit. Well, while you weren't returning my calls, Amos and I spent our break trying to remember my bank card number from memory."

"Huh? Why?"

"My purse was in my locker, just waiting for me to break in and get it." She gave me that deep stare again. "I had to babysit in another state with no money."

Sami placed a comforting hand on Bianca's arm. "That sucks, B. Sorry that happened."

She waved off Sami's concern. "Ah well. It worked out in the end. The lady I was babysitting for paid for my entire trip and stay. And she was grateful to me. Can you imagine?" She laughed and sighed. "I'm in love with her, I think. We'd talk for hours after putting her son to bed. She's probably the coolest, nicest rich person I've ever met — everything I want to be, sans having a kid."

I leaned forward with great interest. A change in conversation. This was good. I had to keep Bianca's scrutiny away from me as much as possible. "Tell me about her," I said, trying to keep the eagerness out of my voice. "Is she a single mom?"

Bianca relaxed into her seat. "Let me think. She's super educated but very married. And young. Not that I ever see the dad around." She rolled her eyes. "I've pretty much erased him from existence. Three months in and I haven't seen him yet. I don't even know who he is. He's a ghost in his own four-year-old's life. What a guy, right?"

"I know a thing or two about shitty fathers," Amos said in a soft voice.

Bianca sighed, placing her empty tray on top of Amos' and taking both away. "Men are indeed the worst, Amos." She placed a kiss on Amos' cheek. "Though they're not entirely without their uses."