li. The Unpredictable Variable

Start from the beginning

Just as Kira was about to whisper to Piper if she was alright, the chanting came to a halt.

A loud boom echoed across the countryside. In the Parthenon, the giants roared in triumph. All around the two, monsters surged towards the sound of celebration.

They blended into the crowd, running along the monsters. Kira's heart was pounding so loud she was worried the Earthborn would hear it.

Kira bounded up the main steps of the temple, then climbed a section of metal scaffolding so she could see above the heads of the ogres and Cyclopes.

Her breath caught in her throat.

Before Porphyrion's throne, dozens of giants stood in a loose ring, hollering and shaking their weapons as two of their number paraded around the circle, showing off their prizes. The princess Periboia held Annabeth by the neck like a feral cat. The giant Enceladus had Percy wrapped in his massive fist. Annabeth and Percy both struggled helplessly. Their captors displayed them to the cheering horde of monsters, then turned to face King Porphyrion, who sat in his makeshift throne, his white eyes gleaming with malice.

Kira's eyes scanned the scene helplessly, looking for a way to save her friends.

"Right on time!" the giant king bellowed. "The blood of Olympus to raise the Earth Mother!"

Kira gave a horrified look to Piper, who returned it.

The giant king rose to his full height – almost as tall as the temple columns. His face was green as bile, with a twisted sneer, his seaweed colored hair braided with swords and axes taken from dead demigods.

He loomed over the captives, watching them wriggle. "They arrived just as you foresaw, Enceladus! Well done!"

Kira's old enemy bowed his head, braided bones clattering in his dreadlocks. "It was simple, my king."

The flame designs gleamed on his armour. His spear burned with purplish fire. He only needed one hand to hold his captive.

"I knew these two would lead the assault," Enceladus continued. "I understand how they think. Athena and Poseidon...they were just like these children! They both came here thinking to claim this city. Their arrogance has undone them!"

Kira's mind raced. He had mentioned the two of them. She shared another knowing glance with Piper.

They were the unpredictable variable.

The giants had expected Percy and Annabeth. They didn't expect Piper and Kira. For once, Piper McLean, the daughter of Aphrodite, the one nobody took seriously, and Kira Willows, the soft-spoken daughter of Ares, might play to their advantage.

Annabeth tried to say something, but the giantess Periboia shook her by the neck. "Shut up! None of your silver-tongued trickery!"

The princess drew a hunting knife as long as Kira's sword. "Let me do the honors, Father!"

"Wait, Daughter." The king stepped back. "The sacrifice must be done properly. Thoon, destroyer of the Fates, come forward!"

The wizened grey giant shuffled into sight, holding an oversized meat cleaver. He fixed his milky eyes on Annabeth.

Percy shouted. At the other end of the Acropolis, a hundred yards away, a geyser of water shot into the sky.

King Porphyrion laughed. "You'll have to do better than that, son of Poseidon. The earth is too powerful here. Even your father wouldn't be able to summon more than a salty spring. But never fear. The only liquid we require from you is your blood!"