118

"It's very kind of you. To be here for her like this. I'm sure she appreciates it very much." I turned to look at her, and felt my anger flaring up again. "I will always be here for her. She helped raise me when I didn't have anyone else to count on," I said, my voice low and hard. "Terra, honey, your mother didn't mean any-" My father interjected but I cut him off with a look. "I don't care. I don't care what either of you have to say. Not today. Today is for Mrs. Gail, for remembrance of Amber and a chance for her to say her final goodbyes. For ME to say my final goodbye to a friend. I don't have the energy to deal with you two today. Now," I said, straightening my dress and collecting myself in the good little Southern Belle way. "If you'll excuse me." I walked away with Colby beside me. "Damn, you really went at them. You feeling okay?" "I'm fine," I snapped, unable to reign in my nerves or my anger. It was like each of them was intensifying the other. "I'm sorry," I said, stopping by the door to Amber's room. "I didn't mean to snap at you." "It's okay," he said, gathering me against his chest. I felt like nothing could touch me when his arms were around me. This was where I always felt safest. When Mrs. Gail came out of the bathroom, she saw us standing outside Amber's room, with Colby holding me. "Oh honey, are you okay? Do you need a cold water or something?" I raised my head to look at her and smile. "Yes ma'am, that would be great. Thank you." She nodded, and started to walk back into the kitchen, but something stopped her and she turned back to us. "You know, Amber's parents never wanted anything to do with her. They never tried to get to know her, or cared when she said that she hated them. She never got the chance to fix what was broken." I didn't know what to say and it didn't look like she expected an answer, because she turned back around and walked into the kitchen. "Damn it," I muttered, burying my head in Colby's chest. He chuckled, the deep sound rumbling against my ear. "I have to give it to her. She knows exactly what to say and when to say it." "Shut up. No one asked  you," I muttered, and squeezed my arms around his waist for comfort. "It doesn't have to be today. But it is something to think about eventually. Come on, I think it's time for them to load- it's almost time to go." I was glad that he stopped himself from saying they were about to load her, or load the body. It made it seem like she was just luggage or something. As much as I knew she wasn't in that body anymore, it still jarred me to my soul to think of her that way. I watched the church deacons walk into her room, and knew that it was time. She didn't have family to help carry her casket so the church would be doing it. The more I thought about it, the sadder I got. Today was going to be harder than I thought. "Let's go tell Mrs. Gail," I said, quickly grabbing his hand to get away from that room before they took her out. My parents were still in the kitchen, but I ignored them and went straight to Amber's grandmother. "Ma, it's almost time to go. Do you want us to let everyone know?" "What?" she asked, looking up at me with her sad eyes. "Oh, yes dear, that would be nice. Thank you. I guess we should load up too. Well, I guess I'll see you at the church," she said, speaking to my parents. I caught my father's eyes. He looked like he wanted to say something, but I looked away. I took Mrs. Gail's words to heart but I couldn't deal with them now. Not today. Mrs. Gail, Colby, and I made our way outside to the limo parked on the side of the road. The driver was standing outside of it waiting on us. He opened the door for Mrs. Gail, while Colby and I went around to the other side. I slid in next to her, letting Colby have the window seat. We were quiet, no one really knowing what to say as the driver started the limo, and waited on the hearse to pull out in front of him. I knew that all of the other cars would file in behind us with their lights on. People driving down the road would pull over in respect of the dead and the family that they left behind. I didn't know if people did that in other parts of the states but in the South, it was almost mandatory. That was one tradition that I was proud of. Once the limo pulled out onto the road, I heard Mrs. Gail let out a gasping sound. When I looked at her, she had her fingers pressed to her mouth, her eyes closed. Her heart was breaking all over again. The reality was setting in for her, just like it was for me. I took a deep shaky breath, then took her free hand in mine. She opened her watery hazel eyes and gave some sort of semblance of a smile. I didn't say anything. Instead, I offered comfort by just laying my head on her shoulder like I would do when I was younger. Sometimes, just being there for someone was all they needed. Colby squeezed the hand that he was holding of mine, and I squeezed his back. Knowing that he was here for me, even after everything Amber had done to us, to him...it just meant so much more than he could know. When we finally made it to the church, the limo parked in the front while the hearse went around to the back. Colby and I climbed out, while the driver let Mrs. Gail out. I looked over to the side, and my eyes went directly to the gravestone that I knew belonged to my grandfather. Other relatives from days gone past were buried out here as well. My own parents would be laid to rest here. Mrs. Gail's husband was out there too, along with her sister. Now Amber would join them.