noceur

Noceur
N. Someone who stays up late

...

Chapter 77

______________

The black SUVs and one motorcycle drove down the road as the night grew old. My gun was safely tucked under my belt as I wrapped both my arms around Adrian and I rested my face on his back. It was a cold night and Adrian was surprisingly warm.

We've been driving like this for two hours. I have no idea where we were going. But I have my lover and brother with me along with a few guys I've learned to trust. I think I'll be just fine.

Twenty more minutes passed before we entered an abandoned gas station and a Maserati was already parked there. Archie opened the door for dad and Adrian pulled the brakes. We all stepped off of our vehicles at the same time. In front of me, Carlos ran towards Atlas.

"Thank you. Thank you for coming after me. If you guys hadn't come back..." Carlos was quivering and I couldn't blame him. He was cornered by the Vipers and his gun was snatched away within minutes. Death really said hello on his fucking face tonight.

"Don't thank me. It was Tara who called us."

Carlos looked at me and it was too dark for me to see his face. He must've been disgusted. He stood there silently and everyone waited for the apology long overdue.

"Yeah I know you're a dick, but for the sake of this gang Carlos! Take your fucking responsibility! Apologize." Adrian spat, he sounded way too angry today and I didn't like it one bit.

"I'm- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said all those things about you." He spoke hesitantly. Atlas let out a humorless laugh. "Is that all you've got to say? You know what dad said. You don't get to come back to Jacksonville till she has forgiven you."

That was information to me. I had no idea that happened because when I came to know about Carlos's little lie I didn't even know who my dad was. But if that's what it takes for Carlos to return from Miami, I think I'm gonna need some time to accept his apology.

"I was a dick! Okay? What I did was terrible! Because I didn't believe a single thing Xander had said. You can't be his daughter! I thought he was just pitying you because he missed his unborn daughter but I was wrong. I was fucking wrong." He whispered the last sentence. A long silence followed.

"I've always been fucked up. You guys know it. I do things I can't explain and I don't even know why I lied about you and I. Tara you've been a good friend to me that day. And it was getting a little crazy. You had never met Xander in your whole life but you and him were so alike! You look the fucking same."

That is the millionth time I heard that. I don't seriously think we look alike. Apart from the eyes. Yes, our ocean eyes.

"You talk the same way and you don't trust nobody. There's nothing I can say for myself. I'm a piece of shit. But Jacksonville, this gang and these people. They are all I have. My mom left me to die when I was three and I've grown up with them! Please don't take them away from me. They are the only family I have. So I'm begging you, forgive me. Let me return. I swear I'll always be under your service. I'll always look out for you. I'll protect you. You are one of us and I have no right to change that. I'm sorry Tara, I'm so fucking sorry." By the time Carlos stopped talking, tears were stinging my eyes.

I don't know why it hit me so hard. Is it because like me, the gang is the only family he has? Or he finally knows what it is to live alone? To survive without loved ones. Everyone stayed quiet and waited for me to say something.