Atlas stopped in mid-sentence, his gaze shifting to Igneel and studying him carefully. His expression twisted into one of distress as he yelled out, "Is that how you were planning to generate the energy we need?"

Igneel remained silent, but he looked away, and that seemed to be answer enough for Atlas. "NO! I will have no part of this!"

"Atlas," Igneel finally gazed upon his brother, his expression guarded, "There is no other way, you must know that."

"NO! I will find another way!" Atlas roared, charging out of the room.

Gray didn't know what was happening; he'd understood little of what Atlas had been trying to explain, but given his reaction there was more at stake than what he was being told. "What's going on? Why is he so upset with you?"

"It's nothing for you to worry about," Igneel smiled, but Gray could tell that Atlas' reaction had upset him. "All you need to do is decide whether this is something you want. Would you give up the life you have now for a chance to live together as a pair of mated dragons?"

Gray didn't like being kept in the dark, but he supposed it would only be a problem if he went through with it, and he could always ask more questions at that point. "How long do I have?"

Igneel tilted his head as he thought over Gray's question, "I wouldn't take longer than a week or two to decide. A spell of this magnitude requires a lot of preparation, and we're only going to get one shot at it."

"Only one? Why?"

"I won't sugarcoat it. There are risks involved in what we are attempting, but it's still a windfall given your situation. You should continue practicing your astral projection," Igneel advised, "Learn to control it so that you can remain in that state for long periods, no matter the circumstances. It might very well mark the difference between success and failure."

Gray got an awful feeling in the pit of his stomach. Igneel had always answered all his questions honestly, but he had clearly avoided this one. Just what did this spell entail?

"I'll take my leave now; I should go speak to my brother."

Gray watched Igneel leave, trying to ignore the tense way in which the dragon held himself as he walked towards what would most likely not be a pleasant conversation.

I have a dragon soul.

He allowed that thought steep in his brain. Was it actually possible? Gray knew what he had seen in that mirror, but could he trust it? The whole thing felt so surreal, and he wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

But if there was even a sliver of a chance at having a normal life with Natsu, one where they could live together as a couple for longer than one day out of the year, shouldn't he risk it? Would he come to regret it if he didn't?

He sat back on his bed, determined to practice his astral projection. Maybe spending more time as his dragon self would help him arrive at a decision.

0-0

"I said that I want nothing to do with this, and I meant it," Atlas roared the second Igneel entered his bed-chamber.

"Atlas -," Igneel took a deep breath, collecting all the patience he'd developed in his long tenure as King.

"No. Don't you dare Atlas me!"

"It's the only way, and you know it," Igneel kept his voice low and soothing, the same way he did when trying to calm Natsu down.

"How can you expect me to just go along with it?"

"I have been responsible for so much pain over the years, but none worse than the grief all my mistakes caused Natsu. Gray as well, for it was my apathy that killed his family. If I can do this for them, I have to try. Why can't you see that?"