Chapter 26

Art by  @khaoticvex, do not repost.

I'm not strong enough to stay awayI can't run from youI just run back to youLike a moth, I'm drawn into your flame

You say my name

But it's not the sameYou look in my eyes
I'm stripped of my pride
And my soul surrenders

And you bring my heart to its knees

And it's killin' me when you're away.

And I wanna leave, and I wanna stay.

And I'm so confused,So hard to chooseBetween the pleasure and the pain.

And I know it's wrong, and I know it's right.

Even if I try to win the fight,

My heart would overrule my mind.
And I'm not strong enough to stay away.

Not Strong Enough by Apocalyptica

Chapter 26

Natsu held himself together for about two blocks before he found an alley and walked into it. He collapsed against the wall, for once not caring at all about the dirt or the stench, his chest shaking as he dissolved into sobs.

He could still feel Gray's pain and anger on top of his own, and the combination was more than he could handle. It didn't help that he understood the enormity of what he'd done.

It was over. There was no coming back from this. How could there be?

Natsu heard footsteps entering the alley and approaching him, but couldn't be bothered to see who it was. He heard a familiar voice ask kindly, "Son, are you okay?"

Surprised, he looked up to see Anna Heartfilia, the closest thing he'd ever had to a mother, looking down at him.

"Natsu? Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

When he continued to weep without saying a word, Anna knelt down and held him to her chest, letting him cry. Natsu held on to her tightly, seeking to let her smell soothe him like it once had. She made soft, comforting noises and placed her head on top of his until he calmed down enough to talk.

"Are you feeling better?" Anna asked as she moved a few strands of blonde hair, which had begun to turn gray, away from her face. Natsu shook his head miserably.

"Come on, let's get you some cocoa." She coaxed, standing up and pulling him up with her. She walked towards the orphanage, and Natsu followed behind, not really caring where he was going.

They entered the building and walked into her small apartment, Anna gestured towards the kitchen as she put her keys down in a small bowl by the door.

She entered the kitchen and grabbed an apron, tying it behind her back as she looked around for something. Making an aha noise, she grabbed a small container that was filled with a reddish powder.

"Natsu, will you be a dear and light up the stove for me?" Anna asked as she continued to search for ingredients inside her small kitchen. Natsu got up from the chair he had settled on and did as she asked. Once the stove was lit, she quickly got to work mixing ingredients and stirring the contents in a small pot.