A Change of Heart

Start from the beginning

"Looks like some of you are not ready for this honor!" The creature hissed at the floppy thing in its hand. He then walked away from the young cup. Kettle took this opportunity to get to his boy.

The black creature walked behind his throne and tossed a blood red carpet to the side. Underneath it was a portal that led deep underground, to the realm of demons. Shades of black swirled counterclockwise as it was activated.

"I'll be sure to deal with you later if you haven't cleaned up your act! So get your shit together or you'll face my wrath!" The Devil yelled at it. A few of its tentacles slapped him in the face when he got close to it. The gray paw then threw it back where it came from.

Voices rang out from the swell of darkness when it sensed their master was at their door.

"Pick me! Pick me!" They chanted. "I am worthy, master!"

"Calm down, damn it!" The black creature hissed. "Now let's see.... Ah, yes. You will do just fine!" A gray paw reached down and fished around in the warm and viscous atmosphere. It then yanked out another demon. This one was a dull purple with thick and muscular tentacles that were sure to cause discomfort to anyone it latched onto. "Don't disappoint me!" He said to it.

Meanwhile, Kettle tried to cradle his boy's body in his arms. Cup's condition looked almost as bad as Mugman's. The elderly kettle tried to get his boy to wake up. His hope was that he would wake up and be able to escape while the Devil was busy at his portal of darkness.

"Cuphead! Cuphead, wake up, my boy!" He quietly urged. But the poor little cup did not respond.

"Well, isn't that touching?" The satanic creature said sarcastically. It was obvious that he was holding another demon behind his back. The purple tentacles lashed out from behind the Devil's skinny body. Kettle watched as the violent creature approached he and his grandson.

"You're not killing this one, too!" The tan kettle said defensively, trying to hide Cup from its vision.

"Oh, please! I'm not going to kill him! He's the one that will be killing for me as my new right-hand man." The Devil explained.

"Well, you're not getting him to do anything in this condition!" Kettle argued.

"Certainly not. A warrior should never do anything like that in his condition." It said calmly.

"Huh?" Elder Kettle wondered. He had not heard that voice be so calm and understanding since it was the faun he used to know. "....David, are you really still in there?" The creature stayed silent. It flicked its tail in annoyance. Yellow eyes narrowed in the same angry fashion they always were.

"Are you going to hand him over or not?" The satanic creature said, still sounding calm.

"Only if you promise not to put that thing in him." Kettle said, pointing to the squirming body behind his back.

"You have my word, friend. I won't lay a claw on him." It promised.

"Thank you, David. It's good to know that you haven't completely lost your sanity." Kettle handed over the little cup. A gray paw cradled him just like elderly glassware was doing. The black creature blew a gentle breeze onto the red cup's body. Just like magic, all of its cuts and gashes disappeared on the spot. Cuphead started to stir once all the wounds had been mended. His cup lolled to the side as his eyes opened.

"Elder Kettle?" The young cup said as he realized his guardian was living and well.

"Oh, Cuphead." The kettle sighed in relief. But then Cup realized that his grandpa was standing a couple feet away. Who was the person holding him at that very moment? His cup whipped back around to find the menacing glare of the Devil. Its lips parted into a devious smile. The cup child gasped in fear and tried to roll himself out of the creature's arm. A single finger hooked the boy's handle and kept him from going forward. Feet planted on the floor, Cup could only stare at Elder Kettle and hope that he would be able to embrace him at some point. He was scared, but it wasn't like him to admit it. Cuphead swallowed hard as he tried to prevent himself from shivering.