Training Begins...

The young cups had no idea where they were going and why. Elder Kettle pushed forward with a purpose as he took them higher into the rocky mountain. Cuphead and Mugman were worried that their grandfather was going to wear himself out from the long hike. The cup brothers, however, weren't even breaking a sweat. The elderly kettle eventually stopped going up and stood in front of a large round boulder.

"I'm going to need some help moving this rock." Their grandfather stated, not even giving an explanation for doing so.

"Okay..." The boys replied and helped him without question. They counted to three and gave a big shove. The rock slowly inched across the sloped ground, revealing a secret passageway into the side of the mountain. The three family members now started to sweat from the tremendous effort to move the boulder. Their guardian wiped a thick veil of sweat off his lid before continuing forward.

"This way, boys." Elder Kettle gestured with his cane down the dark passage. Cuphead and Mugman strode down the dark and warm path that became a bit narrow. Kettle had to turn sideways to make it through the narrowest part of the rocky trail. It then opened up into a spacious cavern. This alcove had a large opening that overlooked the ocean. A waterfall silently crashed down, covering half of the window-like view of the sea. It was the perfect spot to watch the sunset if one desired.

"Whoa!" Cup and Mug gasped as they took in the beautiful scenery. Elder Kettle gave them a moment to take it all in before telling them what this place was going to be used for.

"This is where we will train, Mugman." He stated.

"Train? Train how?" The young mug asked.

"With this!" Elder Kettle held up the bright blue morphing potion.

"What's that?" The cup brothers questioned.

"A morphing spell that Djimmi gave me." Elder answered, bringing the vile back down to chest level. "We will use this to create enemies for you to practice with. Now Mugman, tell me what scares you the most."

"The demon." Mug bluntly stated. Kettle didn't think having faux demons running around was a good idea. He had no idea what Mugman thought the demon looked like. For all he knew, the young mug might picture himself or just a shapeless figure of darkness. None of them truly knew what a demon in its purest form looked like. Elder Kettle didn't want it to get out of hand, so he urged his boy to pick something that both of them could picture.

"O-okay.... So, what's the second thing that scares you?" He moved on.

"That's easy. The Devil." Mugman gave his answer without any hesitation. For he was certain that the Devil scared him more than anything else outside of his own body.

"Well, I think we can work with that." Elder Kettle opened the bottle and the liquid oozed out of the top. It then materialized into three distinct purple mini devils. They all smiled wickedly at the cup child that just admitted to being scared of them. Hyena-like chuckles emitted from their throats. Three spade tails lashed back and forth as their horns reflected the sunlight back at the mug.

 Three spade tails lashed back and forth as their horns reflected the sunlight back at the mug