Chapter Fourteen - The Other Holmes

Caroline's only instruction was to 'dress her best'. Apparently, they were meeting whoever Holmes had called upon - he was being very evasive as to who that was - and they were meeting at a fancy restaurant.  So 'dress her best' she would.

She chose her royal blue dress with the ruffled collar, and with the pearls from her father, of course. 

"Well I certainly hope this is up to your standard," she said as she headed down the stairs to the main floor of the house. As usual, he wasn't very specific, so she had to assume what she chose was fitting enough for their meeting.  She wouldn't have been  all that surprised if he had come into her room and rifled through her trunk of clothes to select something for her to wear.   "This is the best dress I brought with me. I myself am quite happy with how the look turned out, so I'm not changing, no matter what you may think or say." 

She paused at the top of the stairs - no, stopped.  She was drawn to a sudden halt by what she saw before her. 

She had thought before that Holmes cleaned up nicely, but now - well, she was rather speechless.

He had  certainly done more than cleaned up this time, and was definitely 'dressed his best'. His hair was slicked back, he was very clean shaven, and he wore a pristine white shirt with a waistcoat and tailcoat over top.  There was no denying it - he looked very handsome.  He was  very handsome.

Perhaps it was a coincidence - or not - but his chosen waistcoat for that evening was blue, a deeper and less bright blue than her dress, but still blue. It were as though they were matching.  

He looked at her but said nothing.  She couldn't read his expression.  "Let me guess," she said in response to his lack of speech, which was strange for him.  "You're wondering how I can make such a dress look so horrible and plain." 

Finally he found his words. "On the contrary, Miss Westin, you're wrong.  You look very nice this evening.  In fact, you always do."

His compliment surprised her.  "What happened to me being plain?"

"I spoke too soon then. I was neither in my best mind nor spirits."

She regarded him in surprise. "Who are you and what have you done with the great Sherlock Holmes?"

"I'm always this way - you just failed to notice."

"Because you were not acting this way."

"Well I am now. Miss Westin-" He offered his arm.  "-I do believe our carriage awaits." 

"What a perfect gentleman," she said, taking his offered arm.  "You're looking rather sharp this evening." 

"Why thank you.  Now, come along, we mustn't keep our friend waiting."

------------------------------------

"Brother, I wasn't aware you had a brother."

The trio were in a carriage heading to the restaurant. 

"Because I never mentioned him."

"No. Well, go on, tell me about him." Silence.  "Is he like you?"

"No."

"Good."

John chuckled. 

"You said I was looking rather sharp this evening."

"And you are. Doesn't change your personality." 

John was fully laughing at them now.

"I always wished I had a sibling," she said.