Chapter Twelve - Chasing a Lead

The next morning, Caroline sat at the tea table in the dining room, downing a cup of pure black tea to try and clear her foggy head.  

It must have been the alcohol because last night she couldn't stop thinking about Holmes and the strange - and close - evening they had shared. 

But then, even without the alcohol involved, they had still now  shared two tender moments.

Nearby footsteps broke her out of her still cloudy thoughts - like a bubble of the alcohol still hovering around her mind - and signaled someone's arrival.  

The man himself sat down at her table, looking even more rough than she herself felt. 

"Good morning," she told him, her voice a little croaky.

"Good morning.  How are you feeling?"

"My head is a little fuzzy, but this strong tea is helping. And you?"

"Oh wonderful! I've had much worse."

His ruffled appearance said differently, but she chuckled.  "I'm not surprised. Would you like some tea?" she offered.

"Thank you."

She poured him a cup - instead of him just helping himself like before - and they sat in comfortable silence sipping their teas. It was really rather peaceful. 

"Mr. Holmes, the Constable is here to see you," Mrs. Hudson announced.  A police officer Caroline recognized from the Langham dining room fire followed the landlady into the room. 

"Clarkie!" Holmes jumped to his feet.

"Sir." He nodded to Caroline.  "Miss."

"You got my note, then?"

"Certainly did, Sir."

"What do you have for me?"

"For us," Caroline spoke-up.

"A curious case, it is, Sir, Miss.  Apparently, this Phelps fellow has lived in three different flats in the past four months."

"Was he evicted?"

"No, by the sounds of it he was a reasonable tenant. Kept quiet and kept to himself. The landlords and other tenants hardly ever saw him.  If you ask me, this bloke sounds rather suspicious."

"Indeed." Holmes stroked his chin.   "What is his current address?"

-------------------------------------------

Holmes and Caroline - John was working again - took a carriage through the city and to the registered address. 

"Could you please walk a little slower," Caroline requested, stumbling as she stepped out of the carriage. Holmes was already practically down the street! "Remember, I have heeled boots and skirts to keep up with."

They headed inside the building and up the stairs to Phelps's flat. Holmes knocked on the door.  No one came to answer but they could hear shuffling around inside.

"Mr. Phelps?" Holmes called.  "We must speak with you urgently."

"We know you're in there," Caroline added, in response to the silence that followed.  "We can hear you."

"Go away!" called his voice from inside.

"Not until we speak with you."

"I said, go away."

"Don't make us involve the police any more than they already are," Holmes threatened. 

"That would be a stupid thing to do." The door opened a crack, revealing a thin slit of Phelps's face. It was definitely the man from behind the front desk the night that 'Mr. and Mrs. Adler' had checked in at the Langham.