Chapter Five - The Rendezvous

It wasn't until early the next morning when she heard it again, the violin coming from the room beneath her.  She groaned, pulling a pillow over her face.

Holmes did not join her for breakfast that morning, not that she minded at all. 

After breakfast, she was just coming down the stairs from her room when he walked out of his, coming to the staircase. 

"Good morning," she acknowledged. 

"Good morning."

They walked a few steps in silence.

"I appreciate you not resuming your violin practice until this morning," she told him.

"I lost my muse last night," he explained.

"Ah.  Well I wish I could say I'm sorry to hear that. Though I would like to accompany you on the piano sometime."

"Very well. I'm sure that can be arranged."

Harold Westin wasn't born into wealth, but had accumulated a lot of it over the years through his vast collection of artifacts, and he was proud of that. 

And now those artifacts and that wealth had fallen into the hands of his only child. 

As evening descended over London, they readied themselves for the rendezvous.  Watson arrived by carriage at 221B so the trio could travel to the Langham Hotel together.

"Where's our ride?" asked Caroline.

"Where's Holmes?"

A sputtering drew their attention to a strange carriage pulling down the road.  It lurched to a stop in front of the house.  Holmes grinned at them from the driver's seat, goggles over his eyes. "Well, hop in. No time to lose."

"The carriage drives itself?" Caroline asked, peering at the machine.

'"Indeed. It's all fixed." He flashed a grin at Watson.  

"Lovely."

"Fascinating. You built it?" Caroline asked him. 

"You sound surprised."

"It's so - modern."

"Moving ahead with the times. Now could you perhaps fantasize about my genius invention later. In case you'd forgotten, we have a rendezvous to make."

"No, I hadn't forgotten." John offered her a hand up into the carriage.  There was one seat, so she was squished between the two men.  

"Eye wear." Holmes passed her and John a pair of the goggles each. 

"How - fashionable..." she remarked. 

"For safety."

"So I gathered."

"To the Langham." The machine gave a popping sound and off they went down the road, receiving many curious and strange looks along the way.

----------------------------------

 They arrived early at the lavish hotel - early enough to do some investigating, that is. 

Caroline strode right up to the front desk in the lobby, smiling at the man behind the counter.  "Hello, I was wondering if I could inquire about a guest you have staying here?"

"Of course. What is the name?"

"Harold Westin."

"Westin..." The man traced his finger down the page in his guestbook.  "Ah yes. Mr. Westin stayed the night and then checked out about an hour ago."