Chapter Ten - "We All Have Secrets..."

"Why are we going back and forth?" Caroline asked Holmes. She practically had to run to keep up with him - he was taller than her and walked briskly. Also, her heeled boots didn't help her cause.  "First to the hotel, and now back here?"

John had joined them, just as confused as Caroline as Holmes practically dragged them along as he ran back to the fortune telling business down by the docks. 

"You're welcome, by the way" Holmes told John.

"What for?"

"Rescuing you from the captain talking your poor ear off."

"Thank you, then.  Now will you please explain to us what we're doing back here?"

His request remained unfulfilled.  Holmes didn't answer, just threw open the door and headed right inside. 

"Ah, you are back for more infinite wisdom I see." Madam Cosma was seated at her tea table.

"How many times did Mr. Westin visit you?" Holmes launched right into it. 

"I don't remember exactly, why?"

"For investigation purposes. You said he was interested in all this. I want to know how serious he really was."

"Very well. Let me think." She set down her teacup. "I have had a lot of clients over the years. Mr. Westin visited me probably ten times total."

"But those times were for the 'infinite wisdom'  - not romantically." This caught everyone's attention.  Now all eyes were on him.  He noticed this, smiled, and continued.  "How long were you romantically involved with Harold Westin?"

"Holmes, what?" began John. Caroline was shocked speechless. Even Madam Cosma said nothing. 

"Room 211 at the Langham Hotel was frequented by a 'Mrs. Westin'. I saw it written in the logbook. That's you, isn't it?"

Cosma nodded. "Harry left me some money."

"Harry?" repeated Caroline in shock.

"Before he died, we would sometimes stay there. We always tried to get the same room."

"Room 211."

"Yes. It was special." She smiled a little at the memory.

"See, now we have the hotel's significance. So whoever sent Miss Westin the letter knew that, knew of your affair."

"It wasn't technically an affair - he was no longer married."

"Because his wife had died."

"I have nothing to be guilty for. We met after he became a widower. And his marriage was not a happy or loving one, as I'm sure Miss Westin can tell you."

"No, it wasn't.  You and my father?" Caroline finally found her words. Cosma only nodded.  Caroline collapsed into the open chair across from her at the tea table. "Good God..."

"I hope you're not upset," Cosma said, wearing a look of concern.

"No, not upset - I don't think. Just surprised... I had no idea..."

"Were our social situations different, we would have married," Cosma explained.  "But we kept it secret. Who knows where it would have gone had he lived longer." She smiled sadly.  "But he was also thinking of you," she added, nodding to Caroline.  "He had a young daughter to think about."

"Can we all just slow down for a moment," Caroline requested. She needed a moment to absorb all that was happening.  "How did you know?" she asked Holmes.

"Besides the logbook, the way she spoke of your father during our first visit."

Well, now that explained the certain warmth behind Cosma's words Caroline had noticed but could not explain - it was because she was the daughter of the man Cosma loved. 

"We all have secrets, isn't that right, Madam Cosma," Holmes said.   "Even you."

Cosma only nodded.

"So what was he so nervous about?" Holmes pressed, grabbing a chair and bringing it over so that he could join the women at the table.  "If you two were so close, I imagine he told you about what was bothering him. That's what couples do, isn't it?" He looked to John, looking for his wisdom as a married man.  John  just rolled his eyes. 

"Yes, he did share his concerns with me."

"But clearly he never did with me," Caroline said. "Clearly, there was a lot he didn't tell me -chose not to tell me."

"He didn't want to trouble you with his business," Cosma explained.

Still, this stung. 

"So what was this business of his?" Holmes pressed.

Cosma sighed.  "I don't know much - Harry didn't want to trouble me either, or get me involved. He wanted to protect us." She looked at Caroline when she said this.  "But I will tell you what I do know: there was an organization he was dealing with, involved with for some items in his collection."

"An organization?"

"Yes, the Red Circle. By the sounds of it, they are not a force to be reckoned with." She turned to face Caroline.  "I wanted to tell you, but your father didn't want me speaking of it, didn't want to get anyone else involved, much less you. They have eyes and ears everywhere. London alone is crawling with their agents. They're dangerous."

"Do you feel threatened by them?"

"A bit, yes. Since I was connected to Harry. They could know I was involved with him."

"We will request a police presence in the area," Holmes told her.

"Thank you." She nodded. 

"Anything else?"

"Other than they are a secret organization, nothing, I'm afraid. But I would start with his fellow army men. He spoke of them a lot, and they may know something of it."

"Very well.  Thank you." Holmes stood and returned his chair to its original place.  "We will leave you then." 

"You have to understand-" Cosma jumped to her feet before they could leave.  "I loved your father, and he loved me," she told Caroline.

"We're you happy together?"

"Yes. Very."

"Then that is all I ask. I'm glad." With that, she left the shop. 

Well that had been a wild whirlwind.  Caroline's head was spinning.

"Caroline, are you alright?" John asked.

"Yes, thank you. I just need a moment to absorb all that."

"Yes, I think we all do."

She sighed.  "Romances with fortune tellers, secret organizations - it seemed my father led a very private life." She scoffed. "I feel so stupid - I always felt so close to him."

"It doesn't mean you weren't close," John assured her.  "As Madam Cosma said, he wanted to protect you."

She nodded, but distantly.

"Perhaps we should get  some tea. I think we could all use some."

"Honestly, the way I'm feeling right now, I think I need something stronger than tea."

"How adventurous are you feeling?" Holmes asked, the first words he'd said to either of them since they'd left Madam Cosma's  shop.

She turned to him.  "Quite."

He grinned. "Then follow me."

John sighed.  "Oh no."

(I'm excited for the next chapter! :) Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))