New Empire (final)

Something was off.

Sahara couldn't explain it, but from the moment she woke up in the morning things just didn't feel right. She glanced at the clock.

6:00am

It was early, extremely so in Regona where most were night owls. But Sahara felt a certain restlessness in her bones that wouldn't allow her to turn over and sleep.

The weather outside was unusually gloomy for Regonan weather, as though whoever was controlling the forecast for the day was trying to share their low mood. It worked.

When she dragged herself downstairs, Sahara found the living area quiet. They had been up late to cater to Reagan's request in watching multiple recorded Serena concerts and thus the other falcons were all still asleep.

Rummaging for something edible, Sahara settled on something which looked a lot like bread. She took it and plopped on the couch, staring into space as she munched. The fluffy goodness in her mouth barely registered as she tried to locate the reason for her bad mood.

Buzz.

The bracelet's violent vibration pulled her attention.

She scowled as an ID she didn't know hovered in the air, alerting her of an incoming call. Her fingers automatically moved to decline. Something made her pause. Last time she'd ignored an unknown ID she'd missed an important call.

As she remembered this, her finger swiped in the opposite direction, accepting.

"Sven?" She blinked as the hologram of the familiar Phantom appeared.

The figure was shoved to the side before he could speak and a burly Markus appeared. "Is Terrell there?" the boy demanded.

Sahara forgot about her breakfast. "No." The uncomfortable feeling in her bones was spreading.

"No as in no, or no as in, he doesn't want to talk?' Marcus' eyes narrowed.

"He's not here," Sahara told him.

Marcus disappeared and Sven was back in view. "Can you reach him?" he asked.

"Wait a moment." Sahara pulled up her IHM from yesterday. There was still no reply. "I can try calling," she offered. "but it's early..." If he was sleeping, waking him would be difficult.

Sven nodded. "Let us know."

"Is everything ok?" Sahara ventured. The Phantoms had never taken the initiative to reach out to her. Sven had already cut the call, seeming eager for her to try reach the Phantom.

Sahara pulled up the familiar ID and pressed to call. It rang...and rang.

The feeling continued to grow and Sahara felt her breathing hitch. Maybe he's asleep?

But he still hadn't replied to the previous day's message.

Maybe he just forgot?

Terrell wasn't one to forget.

Her heart thumped.

Why was Noah asking about Terrell the day before? Why were the Phantoms desperate enough that they would call her to try and find his whereabouts? Dread flowed through her as her imagination ran wild. Images of Terrell's body jerking upon impact from bullets rushed through her mind. She saw the blood, his pale face, his broken body as he lay in her arms...

"Hey," the familiar voice made all the fear flee at once.

Sahara let out her breath, staring at the familiar face.