12. Perhaps we are...

It all happened in a blur, I was in my outfit, I was taken to the arena, and the game started.

I decided to not go after any weapons, not if that's where everyone would go. I lost sight of Finnick as soon as everything started, before hand, he had given me a small smile, and a wink.

I quickly swam to the shore, immediately running to the treeline. High ground is what I needed, and what I needed now.

Yelling stopped me dead in my tracks, frightening me. I stand there, frozen. Having been in the games before, I knew it was dangerous to stand there, but I had no clue which direction the yelling was coming from.

That's when I heard it.

I heard Finnick, screaming my name. Calling out for me so desperately. I ran towards his screams faster than I ever had, calling out his name. "Finnick!" I called.

I was close to the screaming, I knew that much. But Finnick was no where to be seen, that's when I realized I had been tricked by the jabber Jays.

The birds swooped down, pecking at me. I brought my hands up, defending my face as I sat down on the hard jungle floor.

I don't know how much time had passed, but I listened as the sounds started to fade. My face felt stiff and my eyes were puffy. I must have been crying.

"Oh Finnick, I hope you're safe wherever you are." I whispered as I stood up, wiping my face. I shook my head, continuing to walk.

As I walked I mentally cursed the gamemakers, and the Capitol, and everyone associated with this. "I was promised freedom." I mumbled. "Now, I'm going to die."

Either I would get killed, or it would be down to just Finnick and I, and there is no way I would let him lose.

Quiet talking could be heard and, even though I knew it was for the best, I cursed myself for not getting a weapon.

I stealthy stepped towards the voices, picking up a decent size stick, hopefully who ever was there didn't have a bow and arrow, or anything that could kill me.

I stepped out from behind the shrubbery, coming face to face with Johanna, along with Wiress and Beetee. "Johanna?!"

"Y/n?!" Johanna wrapped me in a tight hug, whispering in my ear: "Finally, a sane person."

I had seen Wiress and Beetee working while in training, they had a good method. "Good choice for allies."

"Where's yours?"

"Me? You know I don't team-"

"Even with Finnick?" She raised her brow, smirking.

I shrugged, walking beside her. "These games are hardcore, friendships go out the window."

"The way I understand it, is you and Finnick are more than just friends."

"Perhaps we are..." I bit my bottom lip, Wiress and Beetee had fallen behind, leaving a good gap between us and them. "Can I tell you something?"

"Always."

"I need your word you won't tell Finnick-"

"Doubt I'll live long enough to see him again, so sure."

"I'm..." I took a deep breath, my head spinning. "I'm pregnant."

"You're what?" Johanna whispered loudly, shocked. "And it's Finnick Odair's? And you're in the games? He doesn't know?"

"Yes it's his, yes I'm in the game, and yes he doesn't know... I didn't have time to tell him." I sighed, rubbing the bridge of my nose. "I only found out a couple days ago..."

Johanna and I both knew that the Capitol didn't care whether you were pregnant or not, if you're selected or you volunteer, they own you.

"All I'm gonna tell you, Y/n, is stay safe." Johanna looked straight forward. "And if you see Finnick... don't tell him... wait no, do tell him, wait- don't-"

"We'll figure it out..." My voice trailed off as the air became muggy, and water started falling from the sky. I looked down at my arm, growing nauseated when I seen that the water was red and actually blood.

"Oh no..." I said. Johanna, Beetee, Wiress and I started running. Running where? We didn't know, we just know we needed out.

The blood came down in thick sheets, beating down on us. "Whoever said blood is thicker than water wasn't lying." Johanna yelled to be heard over the sound of it hitting the leaves of the trees.

I tried to push aside the thoughts of being sick. Now wasn't the time to puke. The blood soaked my hair and trickled down my face.

I shook my head, gagging as the strong scent of blood flooded through my nostrils. It felt like I was being choked.

I used my hands to guide me through the brush. I fell forward onto my hands and knees as I landed in sand.

"Well, found the end..." I said quietly, breathing deeply.