2. Ready as I'll ever be

I make my way back home, and walk in once I arrive, the smell of waffles invaded my nostrils.

"Hello Y/n," My mother, an average height woman with bright brown eyes and shoulder length blonde hair, calls from the kitchen "Would you like some breakfast?" 

"No thanks" I take off my shoes and walk to the kitchen taking a seat at the table. "I'm not hungry"

"You should eat something..." My  mother says nervously, it looks like she'd been crying.

Simply to please my mother, I grabbed an apple out of the bowl, and take a bite.

My mom smiles at me "Are you ready?"

I nod, chewing on my apple, "As ready as I'll ever be"

"Y/n, I know you're nervous -"

"I'm ok Mom" I smile "Is Jackie still asleep?"

My mom shakes her head, fixing her attention on the eggs she was cooking "Jacqueline is out, she went to get some bread"

"Oh" I say in a whisper

Mom looks at me

"What?" I ask

"Nothing, just- nevermind"  She smiles quickly, then looks out the window "Oh Jackie is back"

On cue Jackie walked in, loaf of bread in hand.

She walks into the kitchen, putting the bread down on the counter, then slipping her coat off, and sits down at the table, after a simple "Hi"

"Hey" I smile at her

For the first time since she arrived home, she looked at me.

I noticed her facial features, the exact same as mine only her eyes were puffy and red, her face blotchy, hinting that she had been crying.

I lean forward and hug her, She's always been more affectionate, and emotional, then me.

I feel the softness of her shirt against my cheek "Hey its all gonna be Ok"

She sighs, as her shoulders start shaking.

Mom comes up beside us, wrapping us both in a tight hug.

For the first time in a long time, I let tears fall.

After a while, Mom breaks away from the hug "You should go get ready Y/n"

I nod, standing up.

"Hey Y/n," Jackie says "May the odds be ever in your favor" She mocks in a Captiol tone.

I smile, listening to her and Mom laugh, secretly saddened that I may never hear it again.

I shake my head slightly, walking to my room.

I grab some clothes and slip them on, walking to the mirror, taking in my appearance.

I pick up my brush, running it through my hair.

There's a knock on my door, "Hey Y/n," Jacqueline says walking in "Wow you look pretty"

I look down at my outfit, shrugging. "I look the same as usual"

"Well you still look nice" She smiles

I look at the clock on the wall "We should probably get going"

"Yeah..." She grabs my hand "Ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be"