fourteen

"I said I didn't, never said I couldn't

"I said I didn't, never said I couldn't."

***

As the music played in the ballroom, Sarah and Brendon were amongst many who danced along to it. Sarah wore a long, black Victorian style dress and her hair was pinned up into a low bun. Because he still had it, Brendon decided to wear his 'Ballad of Mona Lisa' steampunk get-up; he even put on eyeliner.

Whilst everyone else was wearing flamboyant, renaissance style costumes, they were the only gothic people in the room. Some people recognised him while others gave stares, but he didn't care because he was having fun.

He lifted Sarah like the other dancers, all performing a choreographed dance around the ballroom. They both had an ecstatic grin on their faces, enjoying their time. Soon enough, the music was over and they all finished dancing, Sarah curtseying in front of Brendon. He too was about to bow until his eyes caught a well-known face arriving with her prince.

At the top of the stairs, Edward removed Giselle's cloak, revealing her ballgown for the night. Unlike all the other poofy dresses she had worn, this one was a tight black, sparkly dress that reflected in the light and had no coverage for her back. Her red bouncy hair had been straightened and trimmed slightly. Even her makeup was different, her eyeshadow was darker but her lips were still perfectly pink.

Brendon was completely hypnotised, she looked beautiful. The more he gazed at her, the less he could look away; Sarah didn't notice although. The moment she laid her eyes on him, she realised the Prince she dreamt of was never Edward; it was Brendon. This is how she exactly imagined him. They both shared a smile as Edward took Giselle's hand, walking her down the stairs.

The dancers all clapped for their partners, including Sarah who hugged Brendon while he still watched Giselle on the stairs. Eventually, she glanced their way, noticing Giselle and Edward herself. She frowned, jealously. "What is she doing here?"

"I have no idea." He admitted truthfully, not expecting her to show up. Originally, he thought that they would be back in Andalasia by now. The pair joined them on the dance floor. "I'm surprised to see you here."

"I'm surprised. You said you couldn't dance." She remarked.

"I said I didn't, never said I couldn't." Brendon asserted, making her smile.

Beside her, Edward cleared his voice. "Oh. This is Edward. He's my, um... prince...?" She introduced him to Sarah.

"And this is Sarah. She's... Well, she's-"

"We're together!" She interrupted.

"Yes." 

They both laughed for a few seconds before Edward then interjected. "And this beautiful lady is Giselle, the love of my life. My heart's true desire."

Sarah's eyes widened in surprise. "Wow."

"Is something wrong?" He wondered.

"Just the way you said that." She told him. "So straightforward. Not a hint of irony. It's very... romantic."