the end

millie bobby brown had said she was over their friendship thousands of times but she never truly meant it.

some part of her always thought they would see each other at the store, or in school and just apologize. talk it out and move on as if nothing ever happened. she held onto that shred of false hope for too long. she knew she would get hurt but it hurt more to give up on them.

she never thought they were actually done.

so when she read that he was moving away, she regretted every petty email, every dirty stare in class. she regretted not trying harder to fix things. every day she spent wallowing in her sadness, could've been a day spent with her best friend.

when she read his text, she did the thing she wished she had done months ago.

─────────

finn wolfhard was bittersweet about having to move. he hated leaving his friends, but was excited to start over. it was refreshing.

they were packed, set to leave the next morning. he had said goodbye to everyone he needed to. except her.

he was conflicted. millie thought he didn't care, when he cared about her more than she'd ever know.

he wanted to say goodbye. he wanted to hold her one last time before they would likely never see one another again. the things he would give to just to go back to the way they were.

he lay in his bed, just a mattress on the floor, staring at his boxed up childhood. his closet doors were wide open, a few stray boxes sitting on the ground.

he looked around, taking in the last night in the only bedroom he's ever had. the wind blew in a cold draft and as he got up to close it the window, something glistened.

he reached up to the top of the blinds, and felt something small taped to them.

a letter

─────────

"finn, finnie! finn!" she dragged out the 'i', trying to get his attention.

"what millie? im reading." she stuck her tongue out at him,

"come here, i found something. i swear its cool this time." millie pleaded, looking over at a young finn.

this was well before finn realized he was so deeply in love with millie, but her eyes still enchanted him.

"fine, one sec." finn grumbled before putting down his book and walking over to the edge of the small lake.

"look, its a big ass bag of quarters!" the young girl held up a soaking wet bag of change, her smile so wide you could see her missing tooth. finn stared at the girl, holding in a laugh.

"what? what is so funny?" millie snapped at him, clutching the bag of quarters close in a protective manner. finn burst out laughing, wheezing so hard he had to sit down. soon, millie joined in, his laugh contagious.

"the heck are we gonna do with these mills?" he picked up the heavy bag, amused.

"i have no idea." she bit her lip, thinking, "it would be weird if we turned in all these quarters to the bank right?" the boy nodded, smiling at the idea of two ten-year-olds plopping a wet bag of quarters down on the bank counter.

"very weird."

"okay, yeah, so, what if we made them into a game?" her face lit up, the gears turning in her mind.