Marco sighed, placing his hand over hers. 

"Don't be sorry. These things happen." Marco said. "Thank you for thinking of me."

"We're friends." Nadia said with a shrug. "You and Luke have been torturing me as long as I remember."

Marco chuckled but it was a humorless sound.

"We were playing." Marco said. 

"I know." She replied with a smile. 

"You trust me?" Marco said, turning to her and Nadia nodded. "Then you know that nothing happened with Echo. Not for a second, not ever. I wouldn't betray Luke that way."

"I know that... I just panicked. It was a momentary reflex. I didn't even say anything... Luke just... assumed." Nadia said. "and I didn't help."

"You can help now. You can help me clear this up with Luke." Marco said.

"Of course, I've been trying to go talk to him but he won't answer calls and he's never home." Nadia said. 

"He's home now." Marco said and Nadia rolled her eyes. 

"It's two in the morning." Nadia said, "we're not going over there right now. Come back in the morning and we'll go together."

Marco frowned. 

"Fine." Marco said. 

"You know he might not believe me." Nadia said. "I wasn't in the garden and if he's as worked up at it seems, he might not be willing to see reason."

Marco nodded. 

"It's bad. Echo went to her parent's house... alone." Marco said. "But between you, me and Adelia, he has to listen."

"Adelia? Where was she?" Nadia asked. "When you two were in the garden with the dog?"

---

"I was in the garden." Adelia said with a yawn. It was 7 AM and both Marco and Nadia hadn't stopped calling her. 

She'd been surprised to find so many texts asking her to come downstairs. She thought it must be some kind of emergency. What type of lunatics didn't stop calling so early? On Christmas eve?

"I didn't see you out there." Marco said with a frown. Adelia nodded, holding the door open so they could trail into the foyer. She peeked out- it was cold, very cold. 

"I heard you and Echo screaming after Baby, but when I went outside I saw her carrying him back and he was filthy. " Adelia said as they all took a seat. "I went to grab his towel and tub."

"So you were outside the whole time?" 

They turned as Luke entered the foyer, the three of them standing as he walked towards them. 

"Yeah." Adelia said, he voice low. 

"Why didn't you say that before?" Luke asked and Adelia shrugged. 

"I didn't know what you were thinking. I didn't know what was going on." Adelia  replied, "Not until last night."

Luke turned to Nadia who was standing with her face down, looking contrite. 

"Nadia?" Luke asked. 

"I walked to the kitchen door and looked out, wondering where everyone was.  I saw... I thought I saw..." Nadia said, trying to find the words. 

"You thought you saw?" Luke asked, completely exasperated. 

"I thought I saw them kiss." Nadia said. 

An Echo in the Mafia (Echo Reid, Reid Family Book #1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara