Part 24

If lunch had been uncomfortable at all, it was only because Echo was surprised at how easily Luke seemed to get along with everyone. She didn't know how to feel- he was courteous and amiable and the type of complete and polite gentleman she'd never met. When they were alone, he was always more direct, more audacious and more demanding... although, in retrospect, it was better he had behaved.

Still, she wasn't used to sharing his attention this way. She wasn't used to not getting any of his attention at all and so she couldn't help feeling strangely disappointed.

"So did you name the little guy yet?" Ben asked at one point as he pulled the pup out of the purse, teasing him.

"No," Echo said with a smile, taking the puppy and cradling it like a baby.

"Careful, if you treat him like it, he'll begin to think he's a person." Vera teased, making them chuckle.

"Don't listen to them, baby, you are a person." Echo whispered, putting him back in the bag. It was a good thing no one was looking at him, otherwise they would have noticed the look in Luke's eyes as he watched Echo with the puppy.

"I'll walk you to your car."Ben said, after Luke said goodbye and everyone started heading back upstairs.

"Sure." Echo replied with a shrug. Echo never used the parking garage in the building- she constantly forgot her parking pass and so she usually ended up across the street by the park.

"Just keep the pass in the glove compartment." Ben would tell her.

"I know but I don't even remember where it is, I'm never here anyway..." One excuse after the other. The truth was that dark parking garages like that made her uncomfortable.

"So..." Ben said, as they neared her car.

"I wasn't expecting such a big lunch party." Echo said, a little annoyed that he hadn't warned her.

"It wasn't planned. Mom and dad just sprung it on us." He said. They stopped in front of her car and Echo sighed.

"It happens. Anyways, I'll see you later." She said, turning to get into the car but he stopped her.

"I wanted to talk to you." He said, making her turn back.

"About?" She asked, raising her brow.

"I was wondering who you were with last night when you ran out of that restaurant." He said, noting as the color immediately drained from her face.

"What?" Echo said, playing dumb.

"You heard me." He said.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." She insisted.

"Stop that, Echo. You're a big girl, if you want to go out on a date that's your business." He said and she frowned.

"It wasn't a date!" She said before she could stop herself.

"So you were there?" He said, "I knew it. I knew it was you."

She stared at him for a second, realizing she had given herself away.

"What the hell were you doing there? Dressed like that?" Ben said, "and who were you with?"

"Ben, this is not a conversation I feel comfortable with." She said, feeling overwhelmed.

"Well, we're going to have it. Was that the guy that sent you the flowers?" He asked. Echo put a hand to her head and took a deep breath.

"Yes." She said finally.

"His name? How'd you meet him?" Ben asked.

"That's none of your business." Echo replied.

"That's a bullshit reply." Ben said.