CHAPTER 34

She wasn't sure how he'd done it, but he had. Somehow, Joey had convinced her to call in sick. If Gina weren't such a fan of Joey's, Emma wasn't sure she'd have agreed. Joey called in to the studio too. When he told Toby he had to take Emma out a date, the man hadn't hesitated. He wished Joey good luck and told him to have fun. Emma shook her head at it all.

Joey tried to convince Emma to shower at his place. She was resilient and determined not to cross that step yet. He relented and drove with her to her apartment. Emma was nervous about leaving Joey alone in her apartment while she showered. Joey was like a hyper kid most days. She knew he wouldn't be able to sit still. She rushed through her shower and dressed quickly in plain jeans and a shirt. She rushed out to the living room to find Joey. Her hair was still wet.

"Wow, your hair is curly," was the first thing he said. Emma rolled her eyes. She'd usually flat iron it or tie it up.

"This is the natural me," she said unenthusiastically. She had no make-up on. She wasn't even sure her clothes matched. She'd been in too much of a hurry.

To her surprise, Joey smiled. He walked towards her and kissed her hard. Emma gripped his biceps. "Absolutely beautiful," he said when he pulled away. She blinked at him. "Are you ready to head out?"

"Where are we going?"

"To meet my Aunt Meryl and Uncle Steve." Joey grinned at her. "I want you to know the real me. It doesn't get more real than meeting my embarrassing family."

She agreed. She followed Joey out of her apartment and down to her car. Joey offered to drive since she admitted to being bad at following directions. "It really isn't that hard," said Joey once they were in the car.

"Yes, it is," she argued. "It's a lot to concentrate on."

Joey laughed. "Driving and listening to a few lefts and rights is not hard."

She crossed her arms. "I have to concentrate on where I'm going and where I need to go. It gets disorientating." Joey shook his head. She watched him drive casually with his left arm leaning against the door. He hadn't lost his smile. Emma enjoyed seeing him smile. She loved more that it was because of her. "Tell me about your family."

Joey changed gear. "They're a bunch of loons. They're fun though." He winked at her. "I must warn you; they can be very nosy. My aunt will ask a lot of personal questions." She nodded. His words didn't comfort her. She hadn't felt nervous until then. "Oh and there's one more thing." She saw him blush. "You're the first woman I've brought home since high school."

Well damn.

~~***~~

A half an hour later, Joey pulled up in a cute neighborhood. Emma was happy to see a modest, small home. Emma had been around too many rich men of late. She'd never felt comfortable in that environment. Jeff's family had been a welcome shock for her. They'd been wholesome and welcoming. It didn't change the fact that their elaborate home made her feel afraid to move. She'd always been clumsy. Emma knew small, comfortable homes. It was what she was raised in and what she was comfortable in.

Joey exited her car and Emma followed. She followed him up the brick driveway towards the blue door. The house was painted a bright orange with red tiled roof slates. It was a bit of an eye sore, but it made Emma smile. She could already sense the wildness Joey had said ran in his family.

He knocked on the door. A moment later, a busty woman opened the door. Her dark hair was a mess atop her head. She had heavy blue eyeshadow on with a winged eyeliner. Her chubby cheeks were both dusted with a powerful cotton candy pink. She wore a black shirt with a large print of a fluffy gray cat on it. To finish her outfit, she wore leopard spotted tights and black heels. Emma tried not to bulge her eyes.

"Aunt Meryl," greeted Joey. He reached forward and wrapped her in his arms. His aunt smiled boldly and wrapped her own arms around him. They pulled apart and Joey stepped back next to Emma. He put his arm around her waist and smiled at his aunt. "Aunt Meryl, I want you to meet someone special to me. This is Emma."

His aunt squealed. "It's Juliet." Emma's eyes shot to Joey just as his aunt hugged her. He shook his head. His aunt pulled away and smiled at Emma. "I knew I'd meet you some day. It's great to meet you Emma. I'm Meryl." She pulled Emma inside without waiting for an introduction. "Stevie. Come here." Yelled Meryl.

Joey groaned. "Why is Uncle Steve home. Shouldn't he be at work?"

His aunt shooshed him. "When you said you were visiting, I told him to stay. I knew you'd be bringing Juliet with you."

"How did you know?"

Meryl showed Emma to a seat. Joey sat beside her. Meryl sat on her own seat in the living room. "You don't ever visit when you should be at work. I know you better than that." Joey grinned. A skinny and lanky bald man clambered into the living room. He wiped his hands against an old cloth splotched in black. He wore a navy jumpsuit and thick black worker boots. He smiled at his wife.

"What you yelling at me for woman?" He kissed Meryl.

"Jo brought home a girl."

Steve's head shot towards their side of the room. He whistled. "Well, I'll be. Miracles do happen." Emma grinned. He stepped towards them and Joey jumped form his seat. He met his uncle halfway and greeted him with a hug. He then looked at Emma and smiled. "Name's Steve."

"Emma," she answered. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Steve grinned. "She's so polite." He looked at Joey. "She could teach you a thing or two." Steve moved to sit beside Meryl and looked at Emma. "Boy ahs never had manners. Always came home yelling at us like we were his slaves. Could never say please for his things." He shook his head. "No wonder women don't stay long with him." Emma laughed. "He blackmailing you or something?"

"Uncle Steve!" yelled Joey.

Emma laughed. She reached for Joey's hand and squeezed it. "There's no blackmail happening."

"Then why you with him?" asked Steve.

Emma looked at Joey. He was squirming in his seat, but his eyes were on her. He wanted to know the answer too. She looked back at his uncle. "I like him." She was honest.

"Good enough for me," said Meryl. She stood up and grabbed a pack of cards on the coffee table. "Who's ready for some poker?"

 "Who's ready for some poker?"