I Hope Someday Will Be Soon

Start from the beginning

My dad screws his face up as he pulls unaware eyes to me. "Rainey?"

I slump my shoulders. I did not tell him about Ron Moretto because I know he will want to take me away from here. Safety is important...but so is Ansel and his brothers. I do not want to leave here and not see them again.

"Why didn't you tell me this?" His tone is grim, and I shift in my spot while the brothers regard me with soft eyes.

"I..." I sigh. "I knew that if I did...you'd want to take me away from here." I stare at my black-painted fingers, refusing to see the looks of sympathy surrounding me. "And I don't want to go away from here. I don't want to not be able to see them anymore..."

There is a brief silence, and I have no idea what they are all thinking. I have become quite fixated on them. They offer me such warmth and a sense of belonging and I fear I won't be able to get that anywhere else.

My dad blows out a sigh and puts an arm around my shoulders. "I can tell you have gotten close to them."

I glance up at Ansel and his eyes are slightly glossy, a look of anguish gleaming within them. My throat burns as my eyes mirror his. He offers me a half-smile then mouths an: 'It will be okay.' I nod my head but if I'll be away from him, I don't see how that'll ever be possible.

"I don't want to take you away from them either, Rain." My father breathes. "But if a gang member is looking for you then this is dangerous news. I won't have you being targeted by anyone. I will have the police look into this matter as well."

"Mr. Moretto is very powerful." Alaric prims his lips. "He has a lot of friends in the law department; corrupted cops and judges, so be careful."

Rob runs a hand through his hair. "I see. I am going back to Dubai in a few days. I'll have her come with me then, while I get some of my law enforcement associates to investigate this matter."

Dubai? Oh no.

"Dad—"

"You will be back, baby. After this has all died down." He promises, pulling me close to him and pressing his lips to my forehead. I fight back the tears as I raise my gaze to the brothers, who are all smiling a little with pained eyes.

This is one of the worst feelings in the world.

I pull away. "I don't want to go...we can just face him. I could just—"

"I cannot put you in danger, Rain." My dad is becoming annoyed by my stubbornness. "How can I fly out of the country and leave you here, knowing you're being targeted by some drug dealer?" He makes a face, shaking his head. "No. You are coming with me. You cannot stay here, I am sorry, baby."

"You know, we could just protect her. That was what we actually planned to do." Alaric tries to aid. "I have a few men in the vicinity who can—"

"I don't know, I have done caused you all so much burden—"

"It's not a burden," Arden quickly says. "We love having her around us. We can all fight Ron Moretto together."

Rob sighs. "I really can't leave her behind here. Her mom is not a stable guardian and Rain doesn't live so well with her other relatives. She's my only child, and I really can't afford to lose her."

I feel my eyes stinging with tears and I bite down onto my lower lip.

"It's okay, Rain." Alex tries to smile. "You'll be back after this has all died down, yeah?"

Ansel is fondling with a loose thread on the old mini couch he is sitting on. His head is hung, but I can tell his expression is laced with sadness.

I don't want to leave him, and I can tell he doesn't want me to leave him either.