Grips & Rubbers

~Words are lost, mouths are closed. Even through the silent pause, you take it all. Table talks, getting through the car ride home. It could be a late night call, you take it all. Anchor to hold. You leave me room for my imperfections when I'm a mess and you jump right in. If I drift in the wrong direction, you turn the tide and you calm the wind. Anytime, everytime I get lost you will find me~ Alex & Sierra.

Chapter Theme Song: 'You Will Find Me' by Alex & Sierra.

°°

Rainey

The bell rings, signaling the end of my Physics class and the end of another torturous day at Crosshill High. Despite Ansel's promise to see me at school today, he isn't here. Although I am not certain we share more classes, I found out this morning that we share the same Homeroom when Ms. Rose, our homeroom teacher, did the roll call. His absence is quite disappointing; I was secretly hoping to see him today.

"Remember to read page 64 and please study for the quiz next week."

With that Mrs. Johnson gathers her files and briskly leaves the classroom. I grab my bag off the floor and begin to pack my books in when a presence appears in front of me.

I look up to see a grinning Tate. He's sitting backward on the chair in front of me, his chest pressed into the backrest as he waggles his eyebrows.

"Hey, beautiful." He smirks. "Missed me?"

As usual, his tie is loose around his neck and the top button of his shirt is undone, revealing a thin silver necklace dangling against his tanned neckline. I can tell he hates the uniform almost as much as I do. Everyone probably does. No-one wants to look like an elementary kid in High School.

His question brings my mind back to the night of the party and automatically, to his naked figure racing across the street. I try not to laugh.

"Mm. I did notice your absence." I nod, a smile pulling at my lips as I push my hair away from my face. It keeps getting into my eyes, so I am not sure why I don't just cut it. I probably will.

"Yeah, it was just this stupid flu I came down with." He justifies, ruffling his hand through his dark curls as if it'll make his lies more believable. "You know how awful the flu can be."

I nod again, pretending to be absorbed in his deception while raising a brow. "Yeah, you were bound to catch the flu though. Running bare feet and naked across the street is not good for your health."

His face goes blank then his eyes enlarge in realization. He perfectly resembles an owl and I let a chuckle escape my lips as I grab my bag and begin to get up.

"Shit..." He curses beneath his breath, staring ahead awestricken.

"Oh damn, please don't tell me you saw!" He whines as he lifts his head to meet my amused eyes, a pang of hope shimmering in his.

I smile, shrugging my knapsack firmly onto my back. "Yeah, I did. Oh, and Riley did too."

"Holy Shit!" His jaws drop and I laugh.

"Yeah, see you around Tate." I shake my head and begin to leave the classroom.

"I wasn't erected, okay?!" He desperately calls after me, causing a few kids to turn glares of amusement in his direction. "I really wasn't! It's a lot bigger than what you saw!"