Foreign Feelings

~Well I've got thick skin and an elastic heart. But your blade it might be too sharp~Sia

Chapter Theme Song: 'Elastic Heart' by Sia

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

**

Rainey

The aroma on Ansel's hoodie is his familiar delicate scent of strawberries. It smells divine, and for some strange reason, comforting. I should probably give it back, even though he told me I could keep it.

His coming to my rescue was quite admirable; however, the words he uttered in my ear are also set on my mind.

"Don't react. That won't be good for you".

Does he know something about me?

Maybe, he could have sensed that I was about to fly-kick Olivia in the face and decided that he couldn't sit and watch me get myself expelled, or could it just be that he knows something about my past?

I flash the thoughts away. No-one here knows about what happened at Freetown.

I lower my head on my knuckles while I get lost in my mind.

"Ansel, baby!"

Olivia's nasal voice prompts my head up to see that Ansel has finally arrived at our Math class. She smiles brightly while extending a chocolate bar toward him, but he rejects the offer politely with a half-smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

Oliva pouts in disappointment as she returns to her seat. Lisa reaches for the chocolate instead, earning a stern glare from her friend in return.

Ansel continues his journey toward the back of the room, confidence in his every step while his knapsack hangs off one shoulder. The female population of our class throws flirtatious glances in his direction, hoping to grab his attention. But as usual, Ansel seems oblivious to it all. Or maybe he's pretending not to notice.

He's always so neatly dressed, and despite wearing glasses, his mysterious and piercing eyes are not hard to notice. Especially when we lock gazes far more than we exchange words.

Look at me. Look at me.

As if he read my thoughts, his eyes find mine. His ocean eyes always seem like they are indirectly sending me a message, but I am unable to decode his intense stares. My cheeks tinge to a rosy pink while he passes by me. He plops his bag down on his desk and grabs his seat.

His heavenly scent reminds me that I should probably return his hoodie.

Even though I don't want to. But perhaps, it'd be an opportunity to exchange words with him?

I blow my cheeks out. My palms are suddenly clammy. I am not known to be the 'nervous' type but something about Ansel brings out the 'girly-girl' in me. This feeling is quite foreign.

I grab the sweater from my bag and gesture to turn around when Mrs. Forbes strolls into the classroom.

Darn.

"Settle down everyone!" She smacks her ruler onto her desk, and kids who are idling around the classroom scuttle to their respective seats.