Chapter 19

Bright light blinded her tired, sensitive eyes. Temperance blinked and let Halvard lift her away from the trapdoor. When he set her down, her legs almost collapsed out from under her. Reaching out, he placed a steadying hand on her arm. Ted pressed the switch at his desk and the hatch closed over again. With the three of them packed into his office, it was even more cramped. The mushroom-coloured walls seemed to close in on them. The floorboards groaned and buckled inwards under their combined weight.

Temperance shuffled back and bumped into the cardboard boxes. Pages fluttered to the ground around her; she ignored them and rested on a stack of paper. Her body was exhausted. All her cuts and bruises were starting to throb.

"Let's go!" Ted threw his door open and disappeared out into the corridor.

She sighed.

Chattering voices and a chorus of footsteps drifted into the office. While they'd been down in the old city, the town hall's employees had arrived for another ordinary work day.

Ted popped his head back in. "Are you coming?"

With a nod, Temperance pushed away from the stack of paper, Halvard followed her out. Once they were in the corridor, the passing people slowed to stare at them. Most pulled back, their arms wrapped around their folders and bags. Temperance did her best to ignore them.

They continued on to the wide marble staircase that led down to the entrance hall and had to push against a tide of people climbing up the steps. When they got to the bottom, Temperance stopped and looked around.

The front doors were open, allowing the cold winter air to fill the large space. Office workers were queuing at the metal detectors, removing change and keys from their pockets. They were all dressed in black suits and carried shiny leather briefcases. Visitors also wandered around with their necks craned upwards in awe to examine the beautiful domed ceiling.

Over the general murmur of voices and laughter, a high shriek of scraping metal reached Temperance. It came from near the surveillance monitors. The old security guard had pushed his metal chair back. He stared over at them as he hauled himself to his feet and started to fumble at his belt, unclipping the baton.

When he caught sight of Ted, he stopped and his eyes widened. He tugged his grey trousers up over his large stomach and hurried to join them. Ted waved off the man's grasping hand with an indignant snort.

"Ted! You're alive, what –"

"Go away!" Ted warned him. "I don't have time for you!"

With a frown, the security guard rubbed the back of his meaty neck. He looked unsure for a moment and then straightened up, his chest pushed out, making his stomach strain against his belt.

"I'll have to ask you what happened. The mayor will want to know."

Making another grab for Ted, he bumped into Halvard. The werewolf growled down at him. The guard fell back with an audible yelp to let them pass without another word.

Temperance tried to imagine what their small group looked like to him. Halvard's height alone was intimidating, not to mention all of the weapons on his belt. Ted looked like he'd been in some barbaric prison for months with his shredded clothes and gaunt features. Then there was Temperance, covered in dirt, dust and dried blood.

"This way!" Ted called, darting through the gaps between people.

Halvard drew Temperance in close. The crowds parted in front of them, they hung back, giving them a wide berth.

Amidst the crowd of grey suits, Temperance saw something bright red. With her arms crossed, Lilith was lounging against one of the giant columns. She had her head resting against it as if she was asleep. When they joined her, she smiled and opened her blue eyes to look directly at Temperance.