Chapter 15

Temperance huddled down into the base of one of the trees facing Lilith. The gnarled tree roots stretched out either side and framed her, so that she sat in the middle of a hollow that provided her some shelter. She clutched the knife tight in her hands. The ridges on the handle dug into her palm. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Alastair twist in his sleep. She yawned, her eyelids feeling heavy. It could only be lunchtime but she was exhausted. She realised she hadn’t slept since the university.

Her head bobbed.

“Don’t you want to know why I didn’t kill you?”

Her eyes shot open. Instinctively, she jerked back into the tree, thumping her head against the wood. A tittering laugh drew her eyes to Lilith. She was wide awake. Temperance fumbled with the knife, pointing it at her. Lilith was kneeling on the ground; the rope still bound her wrists and ankles in tight bulky knots. She jutted her chin out with a smirk.

“I’m Lady Knox’s envoy. She’s a member of the Bifrost Assembly. It’s the ruling body of the faey world.”

“I know,” Temperance whispered. She didn’t know what to do. Her fingers tightened around the knife handle until they ached.

“He told you something at least. He doesn’t usually do that; he must like you. If only you had seen his face when he discovered I hurt you! Temperance, did you bewitch the little wizard? Women truly are the fiercer sex, don’t you think?” Her blue eyes were sparkling as she looked over at Alastair. “Would it surprise you to know he has never shown any interest in anyone up until now? Even me?”

Temperance stared at her.

“Men are only for play or stud though,” she said. “They aren’t worth the same as women. They’re weak. Wizards might be the exception though. My grandfather was one, you know, like yours. We’re quite similar really. We even have the same taste in men.”

“I don’t…” Temperance muttered with a blush.

“What, you want the wolf instead?” Lilith said, with a bark of laughter. “Now that would be very funny, Halvard would love that.”

Temperance stood up away from her. “I’m not going to listen to you anymore. You tried to kill us twice for the Assembly.”

Lilith snorted. “I was sent by Lady Knox, not the Assembly.”

Her tone was serious. “The Assembly is only working with the wizards because of Cyprian’s death. It’s forbidden to kill a Seat holder. They think that Halvard murdered him, while Alastair killed that lupa. And the poor werewolves are caught up in the whole dangerous business; not wise when you’re an endangered species.”

Her eyes were shining.

“You should let the wolf mate with a lupa, you know. They wouldn’t want you with him.”

Temperance frowned; she didn’t know what to say.

“The –” Lilith grunted and slumped forward, unconscious.

Alastair was sitting up, his hand was outstretched and sweat was dripping down his face. His jacket had slipped open to reveal his chest. The bullet wound was a pinkish scar now. His black eyes were wild, he looked livid.

“Where is the wolf?” he said, twisting around.

“He went to get food,” she said, coming over to sit across from him.

“He shouldn’t have left you alone,” the wizard mumbled. He leaned up to button his shirt, his fingers shaking. Growling in frustration, he collapsed back onto the ground. “I’m not fit for a fight yet. He should have stayed.”