-chapter 6-

-avila-

"Avila!" Elson shouts, ducking behind a rack of swords. "I swear it's a miracle you haven't hit me with those throwing knives yet." He sighs, walking over and gently grabbing them from my hands.

I grin sheepishly, "Sorry. My bad. Let's try something else."

I reach over and grab a bow and arrow as Elson watching me reluctantly.

The following weeks had been difficult. Between my grief about Ren, and Zalina having to teach me things I should have already been taught, this was shaping up to be one of the most difficult times in my life.

Lucky for me, Elson gave me an outlet. After Zalina reluctantly agreed, we started Arcane fighting techniques. All of which involved weapons I wasn't used to. Oleas focused on hand to hand combat, guns, and close ranged weapons like knives. Arrows and knives specifically for throwing weren't really apart of my curriculum.

However, standing here with this bow and arrow feels right. It's strange.

Instincts I didn't know I had take over. My hold on the bow, the stance, the way I hold my arms, it all comes naturally.

I pull back the string, and let go.

The arrow hits almost perfectly in the center.

"Holy shit, Avila." Elson gapes at me, "You're a natural."

"I guess so?" I say quietly, holding the bow back down towards my leg, "I just don't know why."

"I've heard that your father was a natural at it. Apparently he was a prodigy. You told me that Oleas taught you fighting? Maybe your fighting instincts, and some of your dad's qualities just make for a beautiful and talented combination."

I take in his words, nodding quietly.

"Yeah. I guess so."

♢♢

-ren-

Ren wasn't herself at all. Something in her had changed when she'd left Avila.

No, when Avila had left her.

It wasn't like she was just sad or upset. It wasn't like the time when she'd lost her first fight in training. It wasn't like the times she'd get upset and hole herself up in her room. No, this was different.

She was angry, and everyone could see it.

Ren had always been rough around the edges, not daring to let her guard down around anyone but Avila, but this wasn't just her being closed off. She felt a deep burning rage within her. It wasn't a fire she could put out. The more she thought about it, the angrier she got.

The anger that she felt was at everything and everyone.

Anger at Arcane for taking Avila away in the first place. Anger at the King for sending Avila into war when she wasn't nearly ready. Anger at Avila for leaving her when they were each other's only family.

Anger at herself, for not making Avila stay. Anger at herself for not making Avila come with her, no matter the cost.

She splashes cold water on her face and glances up at her reflection in her bathroom mirror.

She takes in how horrible she looks. The dark circles, the disheveled hair, the cut on her lip and bruise on her cheek from picking too many fights this week.

She hates it. She hates everything. She hates herself.

Before she can even register what she's doing, her fist smashes into the glass.

She stands there and time seems to stand still.

Her fist shakes harshly against the mirror, her knuckles dig into pieces of glass, the taste of fresh salty tears on her lips, the metallic taste of blood from her split lip reopening in her anger.

She can feel everything. The physical, mental, and emotional scars of pain. Wounds that she thought had healed, reopening. It's too much. She doesn't like it. She doesn't want to feel anything anymore.

She pulls her fist away from the mirror and places both hands against the sink, gripping it so hard her knuckles turn white and her hands start shaking again.

She stares down letting herself revel in the overwhelming mix of emotions. She let's it sink in, she let's it pass.

Until she can't feel anything except the rage. The rage which is quickly fading into determination to get rid of the thing that hurt her most. Avila.

She walks out of her room, down the hallways, until she reaches the control room.

"Aye! You can't be in here, rookie!" A man says as she opens the door.

Instructor Lee holds a hand up to the man and looks at her.

"Ren? Do you need something."

"I know you want them dead. I know you want Arcane dead, and I know you want Avila dead."

Lee considers her for a moment, seeming to wonder how she knows this. "Ren. The decision has been made to attack. You can't stop us. No matter how much you care for—"

"Shut it, Lee. I'm not here to stop you."

He raises an eyebrow, encouraging here to continue.

She crosses her arms, "I'm here to help. Avila and the rest of Arcane need to die, and I want to help make it happen."