-chapter 2-

I bolt up so fast my vision goes black and my head feels like someone's bashing a hammer into it.

When my eyes finally adjust, and my head isn't pounding so hard I feel like my brain is going to fall out, I take in my surroundings.

A stone floor, stone walls, stone ceiling, the thing I'm sitting on is a cot with a mediocre blanket and a makeshift pillow.

Despite knowing my surroundings I'm still confused as to how I got here, and I still don't know where exactly I am.

It's silent for several minutes before the door clinks open and a boy opens it. He's tall, and his face looks kind despite the firm look he has on it. He's wearing white pants, white boots, a light blue coat, and he has a gold holster adorning his back with a sword inside. I don't scare easily, but I am right now. Because I don't remember anything past leaving Oleas, and I don't know where I am.

He walks towards me, "Hold out your hands." I do what he says and he places a pair of handcuffs on my wrists.

"Who are you? Where am I?" My voice is shaking, which is betraying the firm tone I was going for.

"You're in Arcane."

No. No that can't be right. I'm supposed to be outside of Arcane. Fighting against them. Not within their territory.

The boy seems to notice the confused look on my face, "Some of our soldiers shot down one of your vehicles. You were the only one left alive, so we captured you. You're a prisoner. Here for questioning or whatever the Queen and the committee decide to do with you."

Flashes come back to me. Getting into the car, the long drive, then the sound of something being shot off, then nothing.

"I need you to come with me," He says, "The committee president needs you to answer some of his questions,"

I comply, letting him lead me out of the cell and to wherever he's taking me.

It's a comfortable silence until he speaks.

"What's your name?"

I don't know what makes me tell him, but I feel comfortable doing so. "Avila. What's yours?"

"Elson."

Silence again. Up and down hallways that are beautiful, and unlike anything they have in Oleas. Marble floors, white stone walls, gold detailing. I find myself in awe of it all.

Elson stops me in front of large wood door that reeks of power. He knocks once and the doors open. The room is dark. Dark wood walls, dark wood floors. The only light coming from a chandelier on the wall that illuminates a slightly dimmed light.

"Elson. Thank you for bringing the prisoner. You may leave now." A man at a podium at the front of the room says. Elson nods, glances at me once, and walks out.

I take in the appearance of the man. He's old and frail, but his demeanor is powerful. Whoever he is he's important.

"Name please." He glances down at a book placed on the podium, not even giving me the time of day.

"Avila. Avila Astor."

"Hmm. And you're from, Oleas. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

"And you're a soldier for them. You were going to fight with them on the borderline. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

"Do you understand that because you are on our territory you can now be punished for your crimes?"

I swallow roughly, "Yes."

"I see." He finally glances up from his book, "You've admitted to everything. No more reason to keep you here. Tomorrow you will go before the Queen and answer for your crimes." He clears his throat, "Elson! Come get her!"

Elson enters the room once again, leading me out of the room and back to my cell.

♢♢

My night was spent with no sleep. Staring out of the barred window in my cell. It was the longest night of my life. Staring and waiting, knowing I'm probably going to be killed or kept here for the rest of my life. Just hours until their queen decides my fate.

Morning comes eventually, and finally Elson enters my room. Walking towards me he pulls cuffs out, putting them on my wrist and guiding me out of the cell. I don't let the panic coursing through me show on my face, but I feel like throwing up.

The walk is long. Silent. Only the sound of our shoes hitting the marble floor fills the air, until finally we reach a door. I was a fool for thinking the door yesterday was intimidating, this is Godly. The door is completely gold, intricately carved and larger than a door needs to be. The handles are gold as well, designed for someone like a Queen.

Yeah makes sense.

The doors open, and I hold my head down as Elson guides me forward. All I can see is the floor below me. He eventually reaches wherever I need to be, and softly makes me kneel on the floor.

"So, I understand you're here accused of crimes against Arcane." The Queen speaks.

I want to respond, but I can't. I'm frozen. Not because I'm nervous, but because of her voice. It's too familiar. I don't know why or how. I don't think I've ever heard her before, but yet my mind and the feeling that rushes through me when I hear her say differently.

"Nothing to say?" I hear the sound of heeled shoes on the floor, but then it stops. She must have been holding something in her hands, because whatever it is drops to the floor.

"Your majesty?" A guard says.

It's silent, and I'm unmoving. Terrified of everything all at once.

Then,

"Avila? Avila, is that you?" She says.

And I feel my blood turn to ice.