-chapter 1-

A jab in the gut, a foot sticking out to trip me, and the sound of a metal staff hitting the metal floor beside my head.

"Avila's out!" The instructor shouts. I groan in defeat, and also at the pain forming in my back.

"Come on, Avila. Don't quit on me now." I look up in the direction of the raspy voice, and find a smile slipping onto my face.

"You got lucky this time, Ren." I look in the direction of the scoreboard. 'Ren: 1723' and right under it, 'Avila: 1284'. Our training scores had gotten closer and closer in recent months, until Ren fully surpassed me.

"It isn't 'luck', Avila. I'm beating you fair and square. Give it up already." I frown as she rushes ahead of me towards the locker rooms. My stubbornness and competitive tendencies don't stop the jealousy I feel, but I can't find it in me to be mad at her. She's been my best friend for as long as I can remember, quite literally. I was in an accident when I was younger and lost memories. They start at the age of 6, and Ren's the earliest one I have. 

"Hmph." I rush after her and the time I manage to pass through the crowds of other trainees and reach the locker room, she's already completely dressed in her normal clothes. The bitch is managing to beat me at everything.

She tosses me my clothes with a grin, "Come on. Don't be a sore loser."

"I'm not being a sore loser. You were the same way when I was beating you for... What was it? Like 5 years?" I pull my shirt over my head and move to lace up my boots, "Whatever. I'd rather be losing to you than to the rest of them." I reach for my thigh holster and buckle it on, and Ren fixes her short dark hair in the mirror.

"Avila." The sound of the instructor's voice breaks the peaceful silence.

"Instructor Lee. How can I help you?" My tone and demeanor adjust to the authority of his voice.

"The King, alongside your father, has requested your presence at dinner in an hour."

"Why?" The question is out before I can stop it.

Lee glowers at me, "It isn't my, nor your, job to question him. Do what he says, Avila. And don't be late."

Both me and Ren are completely still until Lee's completely gone. Then she smirks and nudges me, "Ooh someone's in trouble. What did you do this time, troublemaker?"

"You're the troublemaker not me. Plus you're annoying, shut up." I shove her arm off of my shoulder and walk ahead of her.

"Oh come on, play nice. Here I'll walk you to his chambers so you won't be so scared." She laughs and I roll my eyes, jokingly elbowing her in the stomach. It's fine in this moment, but I can't shake the dreadful feeling in the pit of my stomach. King Alistair never requests people. He's not seen much with the exception of extremely important instances. This must be one. Good or bad, it doesn't matter.

When we reach the chamber doors the guard outside instructs me to take off my gun holster, and I hand it to Ren so she can take it back to my room.

She turns me around to face her, and for once, she looks serious.

"Look, I know you're nervous. But it'll be fine. You follow the rules, you do good. He's probably going to reward you on your hard work or something. Plus your dad is there. Be calm."

I nod, taking a deep breath. She's probably right. I can't think of anything that I'd be in trouble for. I doubt it's to be rewarded, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

I turn around, the guard opens the door, and I enter the lion's den.

♢♢

The dinner is silent. The king sits there eating his food calmly, as does my father. The fireplace crackles quietly in the background, making the awkward silence slightly less awkward. Until the silence is finally broken.