Chapter 26-Lies, Lies, And More Lies

Danny

I walk along in the dark, trying not to stumble in the grass. The snack house is buzzing with energy as people run around with bags filled to the brim with popcorn and boxes of candies.

I take a deep breath and watch as it puffs out in front of me, and get in the back of the line that is flowing out the door.

Teenagers are making out in the shadows everywhere I look. Little kids are playing ring around the rosy, their winter parkas shielding them as they fall to the ground giggling.

Parents are searching frantically in the dark for their small children.

I sigh; I really hope she's here somewhere. I rented a car just so I could come fine her.

I stuff my hands in the pockets of my leather jacket and try to ignore the numbness in the tips of my ears from walking around in search for her.

I can't remember where I parked the car and I don't know the plate number is.

As I approach the front of the line I pull out a couple Euros and hand them to the lady at the counter.

"Can I have a Cadbury Twisted please?" I say.

"I'm sorry love, we don't have them." she says with a sad smile.

"Oh, that's alright. What do you got? You have Flakes?"

"Yeah, we've got Flakes." she says pulling one out. "Anything else?"

"You got cigarettes?"

"Yessir,"

"I'll take a pack."

She pulls out a pack and lays them on the counter frowning upon me, "You've got such a look to you. I'd hate you to ruin that."

"I gotta do what I can to cope right?" I say.

She nods sadly. "Tell me about it boy. I barely make enough to keep me kids and I fed for the week."

God, who do I think I am talking about coping to this poor woman? I am rich out of my mind.

"I'm sorry ma'am." I say.

She shrugs. "That'll be four pounds."
I think I've got a few two piece euros, but I play it off like I don't.

I pull out my wallet and sift through the five and ten banknotes until I find a fifty.

"Keep the change for yerself." I tell her.

She looks down at the 50 euro banknote in my hands, a look of pure bewilderment on her face.

"Is this some kind of a joke?" she asks.

"No ma'am." I say.

"Oh," she says taking in several quick breaths of shock. "God bless you boy."

She takes my hand and I squeeze hers tight.

"No problem." I tell her and I swear I see a few tears pool in her eyes as I let go of her hand and walk away.

I down the chocolate bar and open the pack of cigarettes lighting one before staggering along to find her again.

I look everywhere until I realize there is one place that I haven't checked.

The movie starts up again and I fight against the crowd as they all head in the opposite direction of me.

I fallow their footsteps up the hill to the little, white concrete building that is the drive in's bathroom.

It is lit by one single bulb out front and one in the back.

I follow the gentle sound of crying as I stumble through the grass tripping over sweaters and toys that kids left on the hill.