“I know that, Jonah. And if’n ya hadn’t planned on goin’ after her, I was gonna do it fer ya.”   

                “And about Bart… “

                “Bart and I hadn’t much spoke in the last few years and after what he done to you, Joe and that boy, I feel like I never even knew the man. Hell back in the day we took care of each other, you, me and Bart. We had each other’s backs and took bullets to keep each other safe.  I don’t rightly understand what was goin’ on in the man’s mind to make him think it were alright to lie to Joe and keep the truth from ya like that. Maybe someday he’ll get the chance to earn back my respect but fer now he’s done lost it. I don’t ride with men I don’t respect and can’t trust.”

                Jonah nodded and tipped his hat to Reb in thanks. “Appreciate the support, Reb.”

                “Don’t mention it.” Reb replied with a grin. “But ya know since I’m havin’ yer back do ya think ya could convince that damned woman of your’n to quit bringing up that beheamoth of a wife I had?”

                Jonah laughed. “Reb, just as soon as I figure out how to control a single damn thing that woman does, I’ll be sure to make sure she never utters another word about your wife.”

                Reb grinned. “Much obliged.”

***

                “Let me shoot it, Uncle Reb!” Clayton exclaimed the next evening as they sat at camp about an hour before nightfall. Reb held up his pearl handled.38 caliber Colt ‘Lightning’ with a five and a half inch barrel and grinned.

                “You sure a little thing like you can handle my gun?” he teased. Clayton shrugged.

                “It’s smaller than pa’s.” he replied, glancing at Jonah’s .45 Colt Cattleman which had a seven inch barrel. Jonah chuckled and Joe crossed her legs indian style and nodded.

                “I’m sure Reb hears that quite a bit.”     

                Reb winked over at her. “How would you know, purty darlin’? Ya ain’t never took the time to examine my gun.”

                Joe glared at Jonah as he threw his head back and laughed and she fixed Reb with a warning look. “Don’t you call me pretty.”

                “But you are pretty.” Reb countered, clearly enjoying the fact that he’d found something to tease her over. Joe guessed she deserved it after teasing him so often about his wife since finding out about the woman. “Ain’t she pretty, Clayton?”

                Clayton nodded. “Yep. I sure think so.” Joe shook her head and scowled at her son, who grinned from ear to ear. “What do you think, pa? Is mama pretty?”