“’Course not. There ain’t no gettin’ over a man like me.”

                Jonah was about to respond to that but Joe beat him to it. “Yer right about that, Reb. They ain’t made an ointment fer that yet.”

                “Ha. Ha. Ha. I see now why ya love the woman, Jonah. She’s a regular goddamned comedian.”

                “Among other things.” Jonah replied with a wink, then he turned his attention to his son. “Clayton, you stay alongside your mama, Reb and I are gonna ride on ahead for a while.”

                Clayton let out an irritated sigh.

                “I wanna ride with the men.” He argued. “I don’t wanna stay with the womanfolk like a baby.”

                Jonah chuckled at the disbelieving look on Joe’s face. “Clayton, your mama is tougher than any man I know. You should have a bit more respect for her than that.”

                Clayton sighed. “Yes sir. I’ll stay behind.” Jonah fought back a smile when he saw just how unhappy Clayton seemed to be about that.

                “I’ll try not to be too soft or bore ya too much, Cowpoke.”

                “Thanks mama.”

                Jonah was laughing as he rode on ahead and Reb followed after him. It wasn’t until they were far enough ahead to be sure that Joe and Clayton were out of sight and hearing distance that Jonah spoke.  

                “Reb, I wanna thank you.”

                “Fer what?” Reb asked with a frown as he stuffed a bit of tobacco in his jaw.

                “For riding with us. I know you’ve gotta be tired of hanging around with us but I appreciate the extra gun and set of… well the extra eye… to keep my family safe.”

                Reb grinned. “Y’all are constant entertainment.” He countered. “Hell I think I’m growin’ kinda fond of feelin’ like I have a family.”

                “You do have a family, Reb. Clayton loves his one-eyed bastard of an uncle that taught him all about the house where all the whores live.”

                The men shared a laugh and a companionable silence for a few moments and then Jonah shook his head.

                “I’m hoping to find out where she is and when I do, I’m going after her. I won’t be looking over my shoulder and worrying about people hunting down my wife and child for the rest of our lives.”