Chapter 9: Bramblestar

BRAMBLESTAR

            Bramblestar woke up in the medicine cat den in ShadowClan’s camp. Two cats stood outside guarding the entrance, and one cat was inside of the den, probably to protect Littlecloud. The cat who was inside the den had fallen asleep. Bramblestar slowly rose to his feet and quietly crept towards the entrance to the den. He whacked one of the cats on head with a massive forepaw, watching as the cat fell unconscious and quickly did the same to the other cat, before he could warn his Clanmates that were sleeping around him.

            Bramblestar’s paws slid silently across the marshy ground until he was only a tail-length away from the cat who sat in the center of the camp, watching for intruders. Suddenly, for some reason, the cat turned around. Before the cat could say anything, Bramblestar raised his left forepaw and gave the cat a hard blow to the head.

            Bramblestar surveyed the camp, checking to make sure no cat had seen him escape. Finally, Bramblestar thought. I can return to my Clan. Thank StarClan this nightmare is over.

            Bramblestar padded towards the entrance to ShadowClan’s camp. He stopped as soon as he reached the entrance and stared at the stars. Thank you, StarClan, he thought. For letting me escape from here and survive this terrible experience.

            Bramblestar took a deep breath and stepped out of the camp.

            As soon as he was about two steps outside of the camp, a large tom appeared in front of him, blocking his path. The cat lifted a forepaw, preparing for the death blow. “Going somewhere?” Rowanstar snarled, bringing his paw down towards Bramblestar’s neck.