Chapter 7: Sunsplash

SUNSPLASH

            Gray clouds gathered overhead and thunder rumbled in the skies. ThunderClan was still in shock over Dovewing’s announcement. Lightning flashed in the skies and the kits began to wail in the nursery. “Someone!” Frostkit whined. “Stop the loud noise!”

            Suddenly, a bolt of lightning came right down into the camp. A wall of fire rose, blocking the entrance to the nursery. A scream came from the nursery. Lionblaze looked at the nursery, and then shook his head sadly, realizing that there was nothing that he could do. “Evacuate the camp, ThunderClan!”

            “Why is it so hot in here?” Frostkit wailed.

            As she followed Lionblaze out of the camp, Sunsplash stared at the wall of flame over her shoulder. Suddenly, an idea formed in her mind. Heat…light…fire….

            Sunsplash turned around and dashed into the camp. “Sunsplash! What are you doing?” Lionblaze yowled loudly.

            The fire had already spread to other parts of the camp. How long would it be until it killed the kits and Dovewing?

            Sunsplash hesitated for a moment as she stood in front of tongues of flame, which were hungrily devouring everything in its path. Then, drawing a deep breath, and summoning every bit of her courage, she closed her eyes and dashed forward.

            She opened her eyes.  In the distance, she heard her father scream. All she could see was fire all around, but she was unharmed. In fact, the heat felt good and she felt energy slowly seeping back into her muscles. Secondly, she realized that she could breathe perfectly in spite of the flames.

            Feeling refreshed and prepared for the task at hand, Sunsplash dashed forward. As she stepped out of the flames, hoping that Dovewing and the kits hadn’t been incinerated yet, she saw the flames had almost reached them. Dovewing and the kits had passed out from smoke inhalation. As Sunsplash grabbed Dovewing by the scruff and prepared to carry her out of the nursery, a thought entered her mind. I may be immune to fire, but Dovewing and the kits aren’t.

            She stared at the approaching wall of flame and thought, Perhaps I have the power to control the fire?

            She closed her eyes and concentrated. When she opened them, the flames had parted, leaving a path wide enough to drag Dovewing and the kits through.

            When she had brought the kits and Dovewing away from the flames and out of the camp, she noticed that Lionblaze and the Clan had left. Of course they would leave, Sunsplash told herself. They had to get away from the fire.

            Sunsplash was growing weary again, and she didn’t think she could carry Dovewing or the kits much further. She dragged them just a little bit further, took one last glance at the burning camp, and ran towards Lionblaze and her Clan, following their scent trails.