Chapter 16: Lionstar

LIONSTAR

            The three cats journeyed slowly away from the ShadowClan camp. Sunsplash stumbled forward exhaustedly, growing slower and weaker the farther they journeyed from camp. Soon, she was leaning heavily on Pondpaw, who was struggling to support her weight. Lionstar offered to stop and rest, but Sunsplash shook her head and stubbornly kept walking. “We can’t afford to stop. The Clan could be in danger,” she insisted.

            To be honest, Lionstar could use a quick break for himself, but, seeing the fiery determination in her sky blue eyes gave him new strength. She’s right, he told himself. The Clan could be hurt, or a ShadowClan border patrol could be threatening them or maybe even injuring them, by dropping stones on their heads or something!

            The moon had risen almost halfway up into the night sky when the cave the Clan had fallen into was in sight. Pondpaw tensed her muscles and was about to rush forward to look at the Clan when another starry cat descended from the sky above. The cat’s emerald green eyes sparkled and his flame-colored fur glistened in the sun. “Firestar?” Lionstar asked uncertainly.

            The flame-colored tom turned his head towards Lionstar only long enough to give him a quick nod before turning back to face Pondpaw. “I told you not to interfere!” Firestar hissed. “The Clans are supposed to fight their own battles, not look to the sky for interference from StarClan!”

            Pondpaw managed to return his gaze steadily. “Were we supposed to let Rowanstar destroy ThunderClan just because Blackstar decided to steal prey from them?” she demanded. “And StarClan interfered in the battle with the Dark Forest!”

            “That was different!” Firestar growled. “Return to StarClan with me now, or you’ll suffer the consequences!”

            For a moment, Pondpaw hesitated and Lionstar was certain that she was going to argue. Then, she sighed and reluctantly dipped her head. “Good-bye, Sunsplash,” Lionstar’s daughter meowed. “Good-bye, Lionstar. May StarClan light your path!”

            With those words, the two StarClan cats faded.

***

            It was sunhigh the next day by the time the whole Clan had been lifted out of the trap. Lionstar had dropped one end of a vine into the cave and held the other end in his mouth. The cats down below would grab the vine in their mouths and Lionstar would pull them up. It was slow and difficult work, but now, the Clan had finally escaped.

            Lionstar’s muscles ached, but Sunsplash couldn’t walk, so Lionstar let her lean on him. Every cat walked at a slow pace, as they were all exhausted from the ordeal.

            The sun was setting by the time they reached the camp. Sunsplash staggered forwards and collapsed in the warriors den. The others stood in the clearing and waited for orders.

            Finally, Cloudtail spoke up. “Why didn’t Bramblestar lead us back?” the white tom asked. “Did he go on ahead back to camp? Is he resting in his den?”

            Murmurs spread rapidly through the Clan. In the midst of the chaos, Lionstar had almost forgotten about his leader’s death. Drawing a shaky breath, he spoke. “Bramblestar is dead.”