Chapter 5: Bramblestar

BRAMBLESTAR

            A rabbit hopped slowly forward in front of the ThunderClan leader, unaware of the cat who was stalking it. Bramblestar leapt forward with his forepaws outstretched, but the rabbit sensed him. It began to run away and Bramblestar followed it in pursuit. The ThunderClan leader began to tire, and as he stopped to let the rabbit leave, he caught the scent of ShadowClan’s scent markers ahead. I’ve already come this far? he thought.

            Bramblestar turned to head back to camp, when he heard a rustling in the undergrowth behind him. As he spun around, a ShadowClan patrol leapt on top of him and sent him tumbling to the ground. He tried to throw them off of him, but there were too many cats. “He might escape if we keep him alive on the way back to camp,” Nightwhisker, one of the newest ShadowClan warriors, meowed.

            Applefur nodded. “I still don’t see why Rowanstar wants us to capture him, but I suppose you’re right when you say we must kill him,” she meowed.

            Toadfoot meowed gruffly, “Who’s the ShadowClan deputy here? Last time I checked, it was me.”

            Applefur rolled her eyes. “But I agree with your plans,” Toadfoot meowed. “So go ahead and get it over with.”

            Bramblestar closed his eyes as Applefur raised her forepaw. But Toadfoot shoved her out of the way. “Let me do it,” he growled.

            As Toadfoot’s forepaw struck his neck, Bramblestar waited for the dizzying darkness to engulf him, but all he felt was a bolt of searing agony. Through the pain, he realized the cruelty of Toadfoot’s actions, as Toadfoot had not given him a quick death, but a long, agonizing one. Bramblestar clenched his teeth and struggled to breathe. The agony was beginning to overwhelm him. He felt his body convulse in agony and he felt the warm blood running down his neck. He opened his mouth to yowl in agony, but all that came out was a small trickle of blood. He waited for the agony to end, and, after a long time that felt like forever, the darkness engulfed him and the insufferable pain faded.

            Bramblestar opened his eyes in the fields of StarClan. The StarClan warriors stood in front of them, staring sadly at their paws as if they knew something they didn’t want to tell. I’ve already lost six of mynine lives, Bramblestar thought.

            Firestar stepped forward. “The final life of the heart of the thunder will be destroyed by the desire for pointless revenge. And then forest will destroyed by the howling wind, and cats will be taken to the stars. Blindness will be destroyed, the aged will die, and much will be lost. An unknown threat is near. Tell your Clan to face it with courage and the hearts of true warriors,” the flame-colored tom meowed.

            The StarClan warriors faded and Bramblestar found himself being dragged slowly into Rowanstar’s den.

A/N: So what do you guys think Firestar's prophecy means?