Chapter 18: Lionstar

LIONSTAR

            Lionstar had no idea what the “Unknown Threat” was, but it most certainly wasn’t anything good. The panic in Shadecloud’s bright green eyes was obvious and extremely difficult to miss.

            The former medicine cat ran around the camp, shouting as loud as she could, “Evacuate the camp! Use the secret entrance and head for the Moonpool!”

            The first two cats to emerge from the warriors den were Molefur and Cloudtail. Shadecloud rushed up to them and stopped them. “Can you two please help Groundsquirrel?” she asked the two warriors. “He’s still injured from the badger attack, and I don’t want him falling off of that cliff!”

            The two warriors nodded and rushed over to the medicine cats den. Lionstar hoped Groundsquirrel would be able to make the climb in his wounded condition and also hoped that Shadecloud wasn’t waking every cat for no reason at all. Graystripe came padding slowly out of the elders den, yawning, with Purdy following close behind. “Why in the name of StarClan should you choose to wake me up at this time of morning…” the gray-furred elder began.

            “Evacuate camp! Secret entrance! No time to talk! Hurry!” Shadecloud yelled as she rushed over in the direction of nursery, checking to make sure Dovewing and the kits had left.

            When Shadecloud returned, Purdy stepped forward. “You listen to me, young ‘un,” the annoying old cat spoke. “I ain’t goin’ nowhere ‘cause I ain’t in no condition to go on no more journeys!”

            Lionstar stepped forward. “Purdy, we’re not leaving any cat behind!” the ThunderClan leader insisted.

            “Well, you ain’t gonna be able to force me and Graystripe here to go,” Purdy beckoned to Graystripe with his tail and the two elders went back into the den.

            “Purdy!” Lionstar was getting seriously irritated. “We can’t leave you here alone to face the ‘Unknown Threat!’”

            Purdy spoke from inside the den. “If it’s an UNKNOWN threat, and it’s really unknown, how do ya even know it ain’t not a threat at all?” the elder snorted.

            “We still can’t leave you alone in the camp with no younger cats or anything!” Lionstar shouted.

            “We don’t need nothin’!”  Purdy responded.

            Lionstar opened his mouth to speak again. But a voice from behind him spoke first. “I’ll stay with them,” Lionstar’s brother meowed.

            Lionstar was horrified. “Jayfeather, you’ll die!” he tried to dissuade his brother.

            “In StarClan, I’ll be able to see. I’ll be a warrior at last…” Jayfeather trailed off, staring wistfully into the distance.

            “Jayfeather, are you sure?” Lionstar asked, knowing there was no way to talk his brother out of it.

            Jayfeather nodded. “No one will miss the useless blind medicine cat anyways!” he sighed.

            “Jayfeather, that’s not true!” Lionstar insisted.

            Jayfeather didn’t reply. He turned and padded slowly into the elders den.

            Lionblaze stared at the entrance to the den for a long time until Shadecloud whispered, “Lionstar. Lionstar! We have to leave!”

            Lionstar turned and fled towards the secret entrance to the camp. Shadecloud tried to say something, but it was lost in the screaming of the wind-tunnel, which appeared to be in ThunderClan’s territory now.

            Lionstar scrambled up the cliff wall as quickly as he could, begging to StarClan that he wouldn’t lose his grip, tumble back into the camp, and kill himself.

            He and Shadecloud were running as fast as they could, the trees becoming a blur around them. The roar of the wind was deafening, and it was impossible to hear anything but it.

            Lionstar crashed into a giant oak tree and fell to the ground, panting heavily.  He closed his eyes and waited for death to find him. I’m sorry StarClan…

            A few long heartbeats later, the noise began to fade and Lionstar hesitantly opened his eyes. A little ways in front of him, great, mighty trees were snapped in half, uprooted and moved a good distance, or knocked onto the ground.

            Just as quickly as it had come, the Unknown Threat was gone.