5 | The Best Friend

Start from the beginning

"Wait, I'm coming too," I insist.

He halts, turning around before shooting me a sharp look. "Then go change your clothes."

Again, I look down at my self and scowl before rushing to my room. I get the point. I don't want to look like this in front of a bunch of his football buddies.

I'm such in a hurry that I can only think of changing into a pair of jeans and flats while still wearing the same top

I'm such in a hurry that I can only think of changing into a pair of jeans and flats while still wearing the same top. When I step into the foyer, Vaughn is already waiting outside.

For a second when he sees me, I think that he looks irritated. But then he turns around, walking to his car. I follow him, catching up with his speed. To my surprise, he takes off his black jacket and tosses it to me.

I quickly cover my arms and body with his jacket, feeling the warmth emitting from it. The way he shows me how he actually cares, even in a rude manner, makes me flattered.

 The way he shows me how he actually cares, even in a rude manner, makes me flattered

The car pulls in as we arrive at the club. Once we step into it, the sound of deep thumping music blasts in my ear.

And there he is. Jake Spencer. At the table. Surrounded by girls and his football teammates. Laughing and drinking, as if celebrating something phenomenal.

And here I am, worried about him. This fact makes me pissed.

Jake's eyes widen as he sees me and Vaughn approaching him. He laughs, and I'm 100% sure now that he's far from sober.

"Look who just came here for me." Jake smirks, talking to his companions. "Vaughn, the bulllllllldozer," he says, making the said guy roll his eyes in annoyance, his friends bursting into laughter. "And," he gasps. "My dear sister." The laughter around him stops short as they swallow the information given.

I cross my arms on my chest, shaking my head. "Jake."

Jake snaps his head towards his football buddies. "Eyes down, guys." Then he looks back at me. "Hi, Mels. What up?" He hiccups.

Vaughn steps toward him and grabs his arm. "Come on, buddy."

"Wait, I still have a celebration here," Jake protests, but Vaughn doesn't budge, yanking him out of the table. The other guys don't argue when Vaughn drags the captain away.

I follow Vaughn, and when we almost reach the door, I can hear a guy shouting, "Thanks, Vaughn!"

Coming into the parking lot, I chuckle. "Having each other's back, huh?"

Vaughn doesn't answer, but I can hear him scoff in front of me. He unlocks his car and pushes Jake into the passenger seats at the back. Jake growls.

I'm about to head to the front seat when Jake grabs my arm, making me abruptly stop.

"You wouldn't leave a sick man alone at the back."

I yelp as Jake pulls me to sit at the back with him. Then he shuts the door.

"You're not sick. You're drunk," I hiss.

He laughs. "Same thing."

I wonder what made him get drunk. What celebration? Sooner or later, he'll have to tell me.

Sighing, I watch as Vaughn starts the engine.

"You guys are so sweet," Jake mumbles, placing his head on my shoulder before falling asleep a few moments later.

Once we arrive at the house, Vaughn carries Jake to his room and throws the knocked-out guy on the bed. I sigh, sitting at the edge of it.

Jake sniffs the mattress stupidly. "Finally. My bed. Heaven." He chuckles and smiles like a little kid.

I stifle a laugh. I've never seen him drunk before and never thought that he could be this silly. Vaughn watches him too, shaking his head. I notice that he just dragged the drunk man all the way from the car but doesn't have any short of breath.

"Stop staring, you two," Jake mutters.

"Alright, kiddo. I'm leaving." Vaughn heads to the door.

"Thanks, Vaughn," I say, and he just nods slightly.

"Vaughn," Jake calls, his voice still sounding like he's in his own imaginary world.

Vaughn halts, looking back at him.

"I know I won't have to worry about leaving Melanie to you."

I'm stunned. Jake is drunk, so it's no wonder that he's talking nonsense. But the sentence has left us hanging in awkward silence.

I steal a glance at Vaughn, but when his eyes make contact with mine, I quickly look away. My heart beats twice.

Screw you, Jake.