Chapter 177: Duty Always Calls

Start from the beginning

She raised her hand and knocked, careful and wary of the two squirming weights secured against her chest. To her relief, it was her husband who granted her entrance with his usual goofy grin, dressed in his very likely new uniform. The styling is very similar to his former, yet the color was changed to a  regal white and silver.

"Oh. I was not aware these winter bears are joining us," Aiden bent into his daughter's level and took her, "But I knew Nora and the others were absent. I was notified they were ill, and they didn't want to put the two in their state."

"So you've heard," Elsa nods, standing on her tiptoes and kissing his lips. Aiden smirked, "You're nervous, aren't you?"

"Well I'm not nervous—not, too nervous," She laughed, "Peter isn't around anymore anyway. That'll come in soothing."

"They will behave, won't you both?" The fire king reassured, directly looking at his son who cooed in return, "Come inside. Heine is handling everything smoothly."

Stepping in and entirely into the spacious room, the couple was welcomed by the quizzical expressions of the council members, their eyes curiously peering at each child.

Not really minding, Aiden pulled up his wife's chair for her to relax, before sitting on his seat adjacent to hers.

Glancing around to check if everyone's in attendance, Aiden smiled in satisfaction.

There are exactly six members in the Arendellian Council, and with Peter not included among them everything seemed less irritating. Or perhaps nothing has been irritating at all. Maybe the guy affects the surrounding atmosphere just with his unwanted presence.

Prime Minister Sigfurd straightened the specs rested at the bridge of his nose, and Aiden has to admit the middle aged council man has the intelligence almost the same level as Heine.

It's already distinguishable that the Prime Minister in his thirties have prepared all night due to his diligence, take his tousled brown tresses as evidence. That attribute might be one of the hallmarks of his personality.

Seated beside the prime minister is the ever steadfast Counselor Holleskøg, a hand stroking the scruffy greying goatie under his chin in deep analysis. Out of all the six, Holleskøg is the oldest, and the only one who aged unmarried alongside Heine.

To Aiden, Chancellor Andorf is probably the most reserved. Always so starchy and formal like Kai, but Kai shows more emotions since the head butler has been with the Royal Family many many years before. He wouldn't describe him as frigid—maybe just too quiet.

According to his observations during court sessions, Sir Malthus and Sir Advard are a very close pair. Aiden once heard the two men have grown in the same village, so he presumed the brotherly duo were childhood friends.

And finally, there was Heine, tapping his fingers on the table as if he was playing on a piano. Aiden admired the younger boy, especially his set of distinct skills. The blonde beauty possessed nearly everything a longing lady can wish for.

The charm, the brains, the exterior or the interior. Though Heine is an aristocrat who grew amid Arendelle nobility, the boy remained down to earth despite some judgemental remarks mistakening him for a "spoiled brat."

Being a spy master, Heine is very swift with his movements, and he is very light on his feet. Certainly not a thief, but he could snatch an object faster than the norm.

His duties with this role are admittedly easier than that of a Count and Royal Advisor, since he barely receives official missions from the queen herself. If ever there is, the job is merely gathering needed information.

The King of Arendelle's gaze met the Danish diplomat's, but he was surprised to find a look of adoration gracing the older man's features. Aiden spotted a few streaks of gray among strands of dirty blonde, and signs of wrinkles that signified age. Sir Lucas seemed to be a family man himself.

"Your heirs, your Majesty?" He asked, shifting his stare to Elsa. The ice queen nods with a soft smile of pride, "Oh, uh yes, sir Lucas."

"They are precious," The diplomat leaned a bit closer, "They remind me of my own three. Though I'm afraid they are their own men and woman now. Do savor their days of infancy, they honestly tend to be quick."

Elsa politely smiled, "Will do."

"How old are they, if I may ask, your Majesty?"

"Three months and nearly four," Chandler blew a raspberry, "This ball of mischief is my firstborn."

"Ah, the future king," Lucas bowed his head, "A beautiful boy. Already taking after his sire."

"May I have your permission to begin the meeting and agreement, your Majesties?"

The attentive voice of Heine Schmidt caught the trio's attention, and in confirmation, Aiden nods and clears his throat, his demeanor turning serious, "You may, Count Schmidt. Kindly start."

To be continued
on the next chapter...