Chapter 177: Duty Always Calls

"What do you mean Nora and the others are absent?"

Sweat formed on the loyal head butler's brow at the aberrant, disappointed tone found in the Queen of Arendelle's somewhat demand. Clasping his gloved hands together, Kai smoothened out his tailcoat and managed to keep himself composed.

"Er–your Majesty, it would've been fortunate enough if Gerda is present as well, although she have left a letter of a brief leave to inform you that she will be visiting her family by the province. While I'm sure that the other castle maids can handle the daily chores without the majordomo, I honestly doubt there'll be anyone without their schedule fully packed."

That was rather long. Elsa sighs and dipped the edge of her quill on the stout bottle of ink, continuing her work with divided concentration, "What about my sister?"

"Their Highnesses have left to venture on a trek to the Valley of the Living Rocks."

"Mama and papa?"

"They... They have went along with Prince Kristoff and Princess Anna, your Majesty."

"Now that cannot be helped."

Sweeping her platinum blonde tresses in concealed dismay, Elsa heavily inhaled and released her breath, folding her arms to herself in distress. Out of all times, everyone capable in keeping an eye on her two children had to be unavailable at the date where the Council practically insisted for a meeting.

She haven't had the faintest idea on what it's like to spend the entire day around her heirs on weekdays. It's true that she does pay them quick visits to either nurse them or even bond with them, but Nora and the other responsible nannies are the ones that bathe and keep a close eye on the twins.

Guilt horribly bloomed in her heart at the thought, and perhaps this is supposedly fitting. There's always this ghostly fear of not having spent enough time with the lives she and Aiden have brought to the world, a whole day being with them wouldn't be that tiresome.

"Who's currently at their nursery?"

"Cyra, madame. She's been at it like a hawk for some good hour now. But she was adamant for you to fetch the twins immediately because she cannot stay in her stead for long. She told me something about morning rounds and assisting the General and the rest with the new cadets on the training grounds."

Elsa stood up and unfastened her cape from draping around her shoulders and neatly placed it on her cushioned seat, "Very well then. I hope the council wouldn't mind if I bring my little ones along. What of my husband, by the way?"

"Already waiting for you in the courtroom, my lady."

"Time is very cruel indeed," Elsa made her way towards the doorway through graceful steps.
...
Auriana and Chandler are not asleep.

The dreadful thought about the children crying and bawling in an inopportune moment while a foreign diplomat is presenting something made the ice queen shudder in advance.

But she merely casts the prediction aside and thanked the Phoenix before locking her gaze on her identically blue eyed son, whose lips are stretched in a beautiful gummy smile, obviously overjoyed to see his mother.

Mutually smiling, Elsa took the small prince in her arms and dropped a kiss on his cheek as a sweet greeting, rocking him gently back and forth.

A protesting noise from her daughter made her chuckle, and bracing herself, Elsa scooped up her little girl, pecking her nose right after. Thankfully the nursery is the nearest to the court room, so Elsa wasted no time departing from the crib and out the door.